Which weather station, Pocket PC, and Balistic Program?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also does this program account for gryrscopic lateral and vertical movements associated with a right or left twist barrel (Precession, Magnus, Bernoulli's, Coning, Yaw of Repose) or do you have to figure that out on your own?

[/ QUOTE ]

For any program to account for these effects, the method used must be a numerical 6-DOF, and of course, you must have at hand the ( a considerable number ) the aerodynamics coefficients for YOUR particular bullet.

( Total angle of attack in Radians, Axial force coefficient, Normal force coefficient derivative (1/rad), Overturning moment coefficient derivative (1/rad), Magnus moment coefficient derivative (1/rad), Pitch damping moment coefficient, Spin decay roll moment coefficient )

Be aware this approach has two main issues.

One, you need such a kind of facility ( plus the money and engineers ) to obtain the coefficients that's only available to the goverment's labs unless you can afford it...then, the 6-DOF needs a LOT of computer resources to yield a good solution, which absolutely precludes it to be used on a PDA.

Same problem was faced by the USAF years ago, and they turned to a modified Siacci's solution.

Moreover, I really doubt that you need to account for these gyroscopic and viscous effects except you are going to shoot from a moving vehicle at high speed, while at the same time trying to hit a target a couple of miles away.

However if you insist on having these effects accounted for you can precalculate them ( again with a 6-DOF model ) and then incorporate its values to your trajectory.

In short, for some of the reasons aforementioned, today, even the military for some cases, uses analytical closed-form solutions. Of course, discussing which is best is another question! since I have my own preferences. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's another option which I have used with success so far for two years now and love it. Check out the 5.11 tactical watch. They now have three versions and it's based on the Horus Vision system. I know some people may be negative about it, but I heard more positive.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.