Which way to move x hairs?

tlk

OK, somehow I got this all jacked up in my head and need some help: POI is 1 mil to the right at 300 yards. Does this mean I need to move the crosshairs over 3.5 MOA (1 mil) to the right? The reason this messes me up is because I need to move the rifle to the LEFT to hit the target (aim off of the first mil dot to the right).

Thanks.

The turret caps will say right or left, thats the way the bullet will go.. so for instance, if you put up a paper target at 100 yards, put your cross hairs on the bulls eye and your bullet was 1" right, you would need to go 4 clicks to the left (assuming your scope was 1 click = 1/4 moa)....

Last edited:
Nothing productive to offer on this one. I'm dyslexic as all get out when it comes to turrets. It's usually one way then the other for me.:rolleyes:

The R arrow when moved in that direction moves the POI to the right........I think.:D

You move your turret knobs in the direction you want your bullet impact to move. If your impact is right of where you aimed then turn the turret to the left and the point of impact of the bullet will move to the left.

The same logic follows for the elevation adjustments.

If you wonder what the crosshairs are actually doing when you do this then, with the gun solidly held in position and the crosshair on your aim point, turn the elevation turret a long ways in the up position and watch the crosshairs.:)

novaman64...I see you changed it. Good catch.:):)

Move the crosshairs in the direction you want the bullet to go.

In reality, if you look through the scope while you are making the adjustments, the crosshairs are moving the opposite way than what the turret says. So you are moving the impact point in the direction that your turret says, not the crosshairs.

So let me get all practical here: in order to sight in I can shoot a group at 100 yards, crank the turret LEFT to cover the center of the group and be at a relatively OK (more accurate) spot to keep refining at 2 - 300 yards. Correct?

I took a pencil and a piece of paper and figured out how the movement is affecting things (put a dot on the paper, laid the pencil to the left of it and twisted it to the right - the back moved to the left). It is now clearer what is going on.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
So let me get all practical here: in order to sight in I can shoot a group at 100 yards, crank the turret LEFT to cover the center of the group and be at a relatively OK (more accurate) spot to keep refining at 2 - 300 yards. Correct?

I took a pencil and a piece of paper and figured out how the movement is affecting things (put a dot on the paper, laid the pencil to the left of it and twisted it to the right - the back moved to the left). It is now clearer what is going on.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, as long as your rifle is in a solid rest (or something where it won't move while you adjust the turrets to your group).

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.