Which varmint upper and twist?

WEATHERBY460

I am looking to buy a nice varmint upper in a 20" length.....who makes an affordable upper.

also, what twist do i need to shoot 50 grain bullets

thanks

Varmint I assume being a 223? Profile for the barrel? Heavy, match, standard?

Depending on options commercial (RRA, dpms) all make good varmint uppers.

If you want a custom for a good price I can build you one as well as other builders. If you'd like we can discuss options or I can slip a name or two your way.

Weatherby460

What part of the state are you in? I just talked to White Oak Armament they have an 18" /7 twist that i am kind of interested in 8 to 10 wks. out. They are in Carlock Ill

I own and have a few buddies that have the DPMS uppers in both 20" and 24" heavy barrels. All are in 1:9 twist and give excellent accuracy, sub .5 MOA, with 50- 69 gr. bullets.

I am looking to buy a nice varmint upper in a 20" length.....who makes an affordable upper.

also, what twist do i need to shoot 50 grain bullets

thanks

I'd say if your dead set on 50gr bullets and won't move up on the weight scale, then the 1-12 or dedicated to that weight 1-14 twist would be my pick. However if you plan to move up in weight, think about the 1-9 twist. I have a 1-14 twist in a 26 inch barreled Weatherby MK V .224 Wby Mag Varmintmaster if I move up off the 50gr bullets it turns into a shot gun, stay at or under 50grs and it's a one hole rifle.
As for the upper; I think DPMS might work both in quality and price.
Merry Christmas

I know this is an old post but here is my .02 anyway. The answer to your question is a 1 in 12 twist. As far as who makes an affordable upper, they all do. Now, assuming you ment a QUALITY affordable upper, that knocks some folks off the ladder.

Rock River Arms, White Oak, Stag, and DPMS all make uppers that will hold better than MOA with a quality ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.