Which Vacuum Food Sealer?

i have a foodsaver of some sort. had it for a while now and the model escapes me. i love it. we have a costco membership so i'll buy stuff in bulk and throw it in the freezer.

i also use it for all sorts of other stuff. i've sealed ammo in them with silica gel packs. i even sealed up a big puffy jacket when i was mailing it to my buddy so it took up less room in the box.

Food Saver from Wal Mart for me. Nothing fancy. Got the middle of the road option. Works fine for venison (whole and ground). Have to be cautious of excess liquids. It has a catching tray. If cautious, then no mess gets into tray and nothing to clean when done. Make sure the sealer accepts the packaging roll.

I had a FoodSaver that lasted for several years. I replaced it with an LEM. It works OK, but is slow between sealings. We used two foodSaver brand vacuum sealers for hours one night to pack over 600 pounds of halibut and they did not let us down.

I should have never bought vaccum sealer's and just saved for a chamber sealer. Over the years I think I burned up probably six or seven FoodSavers. I pretty much budgeted the FoodSavers as consumables. VacMaster changed everything. I use my VacMaster all year long, 4mil bags are pretty darn puncture proof and all chamber sealer bags are pennies on the dollar compared to foodsaver bags. I get it if its not in the cards yet, but I'm telling ya its worth the save. I guess FoodSavers lasted about two years for me.-WW

They all suck. Put some vacuum sealed bags in a freezer and in 6 months see how many are still sealed. If you're 50% you're really lucky.

1. Saran Wrap and butcher paper. Works great, but time consuming!

2. Chamber sealer…there's a reason that's what all the professionals use. It's just $$$$$$$$! The bags are a lot thicker than the vacuum bags so they don't get the pin holes that lead to them losing their seal.