Which type of Long Range Shooting do you practice most?

Which type of Long Range Shooting do you practice most?

• Recreational

Votes: 684 42.1%
  • Hunting

Votes: 724 44.5%
  • Tactical/SWAT

Votes: 45 2.8%
  • Military

Votes: 33 2.0%
  • Competition

Votes: 140 8.6%

• Total voters
I may have not answered this corretly. Define "practice" for me. At first I took it to mean "what do I practice for" and answered hunting. But in reality I practice in hunting situations on rocks and other targets so maybe that is better described as recreational?

:)

Jeff

Well it was a toss up between recreational and hunting. My favorite hobby, recreation and hunting is the coyote. Every trip is a combination of some sort of rifle, pistol practice. I spend enough time at the bench to zero and load check. Then I move on to regular hunting type practice. Aka swinging targets, jumping jack type targets. Usually once I punch the paper acceptably at the various yardages, I only go back to check sights. We have the advantage of a large collection of lava rock with white spots already on them. All provided by nature.

I may have not answered this corretly. Define "practice" for me. At first I took it to mean "what do I practice for" and answered hunting. But in reality I practice in hunting situations on rocks and other targets so maybe that is better described as recreational?

:)

Jeff

Agreed, need some more clear definition of terms. Most of the shooting I do is recreational and tactical as practice for hunting and competition.

If you shoot at a target and try to hit the centre bull and miss that perfect centre bull most of the time are you practising to hit that bull or practising to miss it ?

If you learn from your mistakes and misses then you are practising to hit the bulls eye . If not you are practising to miss.

I said comp as its a field type shooting that has differnt posistions and distances that come in handy with hunting. I really didn't know which one was the right one for me. I try to stay off a bench and not shoot square ranges when I have good scope dope. Since I don;t shoot people but do shoot animals I look at all my traing as a very usefull for hunting. The matches I shoot in are so often called "tactical" but I look at em as precision and I can take that to the woods, plains, BR matches, comps, and bean fields. Just learning to shoot a rifle as good as I possibly can is what I practice for

i voted rec because 95% of my shooting is done in simulated hunting situations on steel targets at various odd ranges from 500-800 yards shot from a prone position off of a bipod and rear hand bag in preperation for hunting trips.

Just started LR shooting five months ago for a hobby, since I am near retirement and never liked golf. This has definitely been an adventure with all the available information and opinions on the internet. At 64 years young, might eventually transition to some competition. Hunted when younger and even trained peregrine falcons to hunt ducks and pheasant in my teens. Just into targets, outdoors and fun now. Thanks for your useful website. Much good information also on Snipers Hide Forum, but more geared to tatiical shooting.
:D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.