Which type of Long Range Shooting do you practice most?

Which type of Long Range Shooting do you practice most?

• Recreational

Votes: 684 42.1%
  • Hunting

Votes: 724 44.5%
  • Tactical/SWAT

Votes: 45 2.8%
  • Military

Votes: 33 2.0%
  • Competition

Votes: 140 8.6%

• Total voters
I do all of my shooting for the purpose of taking game only. I have thought about getting into competition shooting but I need to spend all of my extra time with my family, so maybe in a few more years when the kids are out.

Hunting is hunting! You are in pursuit of a specific target animal. Most likely non-human. Human targets fall into military as well as practice for these human targets or non-living targets of value to an enemy. Practice for hunting falls into recreational. It is basically hunting skill improvement or just plinking. Police is pretty well self explanatory. If you are not a peace officer, you don't belong here. Anyhooohw that is my read of it

I mostly just target shoot Iam teaching my 11 year old grand son to be safe and responsible he is a good shot 100 yards with 10-22 4in groop 1 time out didnot want 2 shoot my ar15 but I finaly talkted him into it shot 3in groop 100yards first time i want him on my side I can only shoot 158 yards where I gow looking for longer spot to shoot but still enjoy just shooting will take him hunting next year.

I mostly just target shoot Iam teaching my 11 year old grand son to be safe and responsible he is a good shot 100 yards with 10-22 4in groop 1 time out didnot want 2 shoot my ar15 but I finaly talkted him into it shot 3in groop 100yards first time i want him on my side I can only shoot 158 yards where I gow looking for longer spot to shoot but still enjoy just shooting will take him hunting next year.

I hate to bust on you here, but your grammar teacher would be ashamed of you.

I mostly just target shoot Iam teaching my 11 year old grand son to be safe and responsible he is a good shot 100 yards with 10-22 4in groop 1 time out didnot want 2 shoot my ar15 but I finaly talkted him into it shot 3in groop 100yards first time i want him on my side I can only shoot 158 yards where I gow looking for longer spot to shoot but still enjoy just shooting will take him hunting next year I just got a 7mmrem mag I need at least 300 yards to let it show what it can realy do 111 savage nice gun makes the grond shake my grand son sead shot a pumkin at 100 yards not much left.

gun)Sorrry trebark I tried to find my white cloak and hood good thing I dont live in west Virginia.

I am basically doing the same thing. I have a 20 and 13 year old granddaughters and a 9 year old grandson. They love to shoot with this old man. I guess God does know what he is doing. I learned on my family's farm and then the Army in VietNam. Stay with it for it really worth it.

Thanks for not cutting me down on my gramer. I will admit I am not the best riter in the world I do the best I can. My grandson usaly corects my spelling for me but he wasnot here yesterday. I think it is very important to teach the yunger generation to use guns responsably. plus it is very rewording to see them do a good job and get away from the video games.gun) I was once told it is none of my f----- bisnis what other people think about me but I still let it bother me sometimes. sorry

Last edited:
Thanks for not cutting me down on my gramer. I will admit I am not the best riter in the world I do the best I can. My grandson usaly corects my spelling for me but he wasnot here yesterday. I think it is very important to teach the yunger generation to use guns responsably. plus it is very rewording to see them do a good job and get away from the video games.gun) I was once told it is none of my f----- bisnis what other people think about me but I still let it bother me sometimes. sorry

Well, it would be sorta like the kettle calling the pot black. I learn more from my grandkids than I did in school. We live in a creek bottom area and we are over run with feral hogs and coyotes. I think it is good place to let them learn to shoot responsibly and really bond well with them. I gave my 9 year old grandson a Life Membership to NRA for Christmas. I hope he becomes responsible shooter. Keep up the good work.

Hi ONTXKD it is good to talk to a good person my grandson is not here to check my speling so you will have to bare with some bad spelling. I live in up state ny. so it is white tail seson now I am gowing to take my grandson out hunting with me this weekend. My frend hase a big farm so there will be nobody to shoot at us.I hope we bag one he wold be thriled we will have fun aneyhow. hog hunting sownds like alot of fun thay will probley be up here soon aneyhow. good luck with your grandkids and I will chat with you agin soon Daves Gunsmithinggun)

Sitting, standing,prone and kneeling under 600
Prone and bench at 600/1000 gun)

I like to sit and prone shoot. I reload a lot and enjoy trying new loads. I just found a new 1000 yard range close by. I like to shoot 500 and 600 yards. I normally shoot a 30-06 for range. I use a .223 to hunt varmets. good shooting ONTXKD

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.