Which type of gun safe lock

Jeff In TX

I'm looking to upgrade my gun safe and I've been out shopping them around. My question is which is better, the new electronic key pad combination locks or the standard turn to the right/left type.

Pros and cons on each.

As always thanks for your input and support

Jeff

Go with the standard l/r combo. Good friend of mine just spent $340 with a locksmith changing out his 3 yr old keypad after it went kaput. The old stand by l/r can have the combo changed by a locksmith and it will last forever with no breakage.

BH

My boss was telling me he was in a big gunshop sporting goods place there in Washinton and the locksmith in the same building came by when he was looking at safes, he asked whick lock you going to get?

He was thinking the electronic pad type too. Well after the locksmith popped the front cover off the lock and connected two wires and the safe popped open, he asked which lock you going to get now?

He told him that any amature theif could open the electronic lock the same way, and they do all the time. The tumbler lock is real hard to get unlocked, even to a safisticated locksmith they can sometimes be almost impossible to break into.

My das had an electronic keypad type, still don't have the heart to tell him how "un"safe his stuff really is.

I bet a call to some locksmiths and an insurance companies wouldn't be a bad idea to get a better idea.

Lane told me that locksmith had that safe open in less than 20 seconds!

My grandfather has a tumbler type too. He tells all the grandkids the first one that figures out the combination and opens it can have everything inside it. They take turns spinning the dial every time they go over there.
grin.gif
What a lottery that one would be! And they all know it too.
smile.gif

[ 10-19-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Brent,

Thank you very much. Your post wins the cupie doll. That's the type of feedback I was looking for. I was wondering how easy the electronic ones were to break into.

I'll ask our local locksmith for his advise, but I think I'm going with the old R/L turn style.

Thanks for everyones input.

I am sure that you can change the combo out on the S&G Group II locks pretty easily. I just bought a safe with this combo lock on it so I will ba looking into it for info and posting back what I find. I like some others don't like having a safe with the factory combination that the S&H and install people have seen.

I wanted a electronic lock but am glad I have the dial... lifespan is a minimum of 10yrs or longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.