Which turkey gun?

I want to do something a bit different for next year. I want to purchase a Henry 20 gauge single shot and change it up. This would be shortening the barrel a few inches, threading it and choking with a medium pattern choke tube. Also, drill and tap for a red dot of some kind. Thinking about the machining work and choke tube done by Sumtoy Customs. Then, have it dipped in the camo of my preference. Like I said I just need a project. Lol.

Finding a 28 ga. would be a challenge.....
28 ga. would be a OK turkey gun....I just never seen any factory shells that would be any good beyond 30-35 yards...finding choke tubes or custom choked gun would be a challenge ......if you're a reloader you could buy TSS shot and load your own....
Wouldn't be a low cost project or one that would be very easy to get rid of if you got bored with it....

Tri Star and Mossberg have 28 gauge turkey models. The tss sub gauge is not to be ignored. Fox Trot ammo makes a 28 gauge load that is deadly to 60.... No kidding

I very much like my 930 Field 26"…I did do OR3Gun upgrades to it… it prior to those it has been very accurate and reliable. I much prefer the tang safety to others by the trigger guard.
I also have a Beretta A300 Turkey, which I need to find a better choke for. I like it but don't have enough seat time with it to love or hate it.

I still love an ol' 870. I've liked others but I keep coming back to it. Ambi thumbhole lets me take 3.5" recoil better and I can switch and shoot left handed unlike other thumbholes. Yeah, i could go with less shell and likely will after this year but can't argue the results.
3 inch recoil was bad enough so I never even thought about 3.5. Three years ago I finally wised up for this old man and went to a 20…..very happy.

I have a retay Masai Mara 20ga in mossy oak bottomland original that's a pretty **** sweet gun. I'm more of a side by side or over under shotgun guy but this thing is just deadnuts accurate and handles like a dream plus it's easy to take down and pack up or field clean as needed.

Attachments

• IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3831.jpeg
    IMG_3831.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3803.jpeg
    IMG_3803.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 26
I just noticed how old this thread was...🙄 I used a Rem 870 since day one. I bought when I was 20. My first shotgun. 2.75 in. Chamber. Served me fine. I bought my 2nd shotgun in 2013 or early 2014. A Remington Versa Max. It's been a work horse for me. Instead of changing barrels on 870 I just change chokes. On geese and ducks here I learned modified not full choke. Even on high flyers. In last 3 years I went from 2 shotguns to 8. Most bought from I guess you would call from an estate sale. Only ones I kept besides my old 870 and Versa Max are a Rem 1100 I got for $200 brand new in box. I bought 8 rifles, 6 pistols and 2 shotguns for that lady that her husband had died, along with a lot of Reloading stuff.
I kept the 1100 and a couple pistols and one rifle. Sold rest for profit. I love my Versa Max. I don't need foreign made guns aka Benelli, Barretta, etc.. what I use works fine for me. I have a Citadel Boss 50 AR 12 gauge (Turkish) with red dot thats fun. It would kill turkeys just fine. But even a five round mag wouldn't be legal . My 20 round drum mag would be nice on ducks. It has its purpose now with alternate 00 buck and slugs. Yesterday morning I went out for a morning coyote/rabbit hunt with my good buddy. Rolled a coyote with 3.5 in. #4 buck load. 54 6mm pellets. I won't tell you yardage but I ranged it. Both buddy and I were amazed. I have a oval fiber optic rear sight and fiber optic front sight. I held dead on. Maybe Someday I'll shoot a turkey with it. Been great on Pheasant and chukar , ducks and geese though 😉

I am looking for a new shotgun for turkey hunting. I've always been a big game hunter and pheasant, but am going to try turkey this spring now. I'm trying to decide between the Weatherby Element turkey or the Mossberg 930 turkey.....

What are the pros and cons between the 2?
Mossberg, they know more about shotguns.

I just noticed how old this thread was...🙄 I used a Rem 870 since day one. I bought when I was 20. My first shotgun. 2.75 in. Chamber. Served me fine. I bought my 2nd shotgun in 2013 or early 2014. A Remington Versa Max. It's been a work horse for me. Instead of changing barrels on 870 I just change chokes. On geese and ducks here I learned modified not full choke. Even on high flyers. In last 3 years I went from 2 shotguns to 8. Most bought from I guess you would call from an estate sale. Only ones I kept besides my old 870 and Versa Max are a Rem 1100 I got for $200 brand new in box. I bought 8 rifles, 6 pistols and 2 shotguns for that lady that her husband had died, along with a lot of Reloading stuff.
I kept the 1100 and a couple pistols and one rifle. Sold rest for profit. I love my Versa Max. I don't need foreign made guns aka Benelli, Barretta, etc.. what I use works fine for me. I have a Citadel Boss 50 AR 12 gauge (Turkish) with red dot thats fun. It would kill turkeys just fine. But even a five round mag wouldn't be legal . My 20 round drum mag would be nice on ducks. It has its purpose now with alternate 00 buck and slugs. Yesterday morning I went out for a morning coyote/rabbit hunt with my good buddy. Rolled a coyote with 3.5 in. #4 buck load. 54 6mm pellets. I won't tell you yardage but I ranged it. Both buddy and I were amazed. I have an oval fiber optic rear sight and fiber optic front sight. I held dead on. Maybe Someday I'll shoot a turkey with it. Been great on Pheasant and chukar , ducks and geese though 😉
I wish 870's were as nice as they used to be. They aren't but old ones can be found easily. I like American stuff but when it comes to shotguns….. yeah I have some Italians in the garage. I don't think there's much science to swatting turkeys. Something portable and maneuverable with a tight pattern.

I wish 870's were as nice as they used to be. They aren't but old ones can be found easily. I like American stuff but when it comes to shotguns….. yeah I have some Italians in the garage. I don't think there's much science to swatting turkeys. Something portable and maneuverable with a tight pattern.
Very true about old 870's. Just like most things theses days. I never had the money for the experience things in life. I made due with what I had and could afford I don't know if I would of known the difference. At least not when I was younger. 😉