Which turkey gun?

I would not consider myself an expert turkey hunter. But I was fortunate enough to have tried many different shotguns and I settled on a Mossberg pump because the price was right and it was camouflaged it had a red dot and I needed one for that spring turkey season. I am not what you would call recoil sensitive but the first time I pulled the trigger on a 3 1/2 inch mag shell it knocked my glasses off. Later, I got to try a semi auto called the Remington versa max. This was a game changer to me very soft shooting and patterned great. While searching I found one on LRH and the price was right and it is a real pleasant gun to shoot. I still don't shoot 3 1/2 inch mags as I just don't think they're needed for the 50-60 yards I shoot. My wife and I also use Winchester Longbeard. She routinely takes turkeys at 40 yards or so with her 20 gauge… Makes me wonder why I have to have a 12 gauge for turkey hunting… Other than just being a Tim the tool man Taylor type of guy.

My only caution against TSS besides being over $10-$15 a round is availability.
I went into my local BP and Cabela's 3-4x a week prior to turkey season and looked on line daily and had great difficulty finding lead Winchester Long beard XR Turkey shells and TSS and when I did find TSS in stock it was WELL over $13 a round.

Neither my local Cabela's or BP had any 20ga TSS in stock until a few weeks prior to the opening of turkey season and only 12ga TSS for $13-$15 a round.

Based on my LIMITED experience with TSS and what I have read here and at the two most popular dedicated turkey hunting websites TSS is often picky as to what choke it will perform well with and often doesn't pattern well with the same tight chokes used for lead turkey shells most guys already have or come with new turkey specific guns, so patterning your gun to get optimal performance from TSS shells could be vary costly and if you need to buy an AM TSS compatible choke it can get down right painfully expensive.
And if you're going to limit your shots to 45 yards or under there is no need to use TSS as lead will do fine at 45 and under.

I would respectfully suggest you do some lengthy research of TSS turkey shell before you invest any $$$ in them or TSS compatible chokes. Another issue related to TSS cost is they are so expensive it can become for some hunters cost prohibitive to stock pile multiple seasons worth of shells and with the current ammo shortages especially with season specific limited run turkey shells like TSS and WLBXR's, you could find yourself two weeks away from your hunt and either have only a few TSS shells or none at all.

I literally have stockpiled 10 turkey seasons worth of Winchester Long beard shells for my sons and I and thank God I did as they never were for sale OTC near me and only available on line and if you weren't among the first to find them you didn't get any. Shockingly enough the best source for reasonably priced WLBXR shells was of all places Gunbroker.

Just some things to think about before you go all in on TSS.
For the past 10 years I have been using Federal Black Cloud #4 steel and it has proven itself out to 60+ yards with one shot kills with the right choke tube. I still have and still use the remaining 12 rounds out of the original box I purchased at Gander Mountain for if I remember correctly around $27.00. Just as deadly now as they were when they were new.

I have both 12 (3.5") and a 20 gauge. Doesn't matter Which one I use, I use TSS. The 20 is enough for anywhere in this country to kill a bird at 55-60 yds depending on your gun and choke. I use a 20 ga Stoeger M3020 with a 28" barrel and extended Turkey choke. I have killed at a laser 57 yds and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I got short video clip of that kill I can send you. OP is interested just pm your cell. Here's some heads of a good morning with a couple buddies all using my 20 ga with 3" #9 TSS. All were between 35 & 50 yds.

Attachments

• 9E118AAF-E1F4-4B11-AF15-C179D52CB74B.jpeg
    9E118AAF-E1F4-4B11-AF15-C179D52CB74B.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 79
I have used the Browning BPS, Turkey - Deer combo for years. Winchester 3" Supreme sabots for deer in extended rifled choke.
I like Remington Deplex 2X6's
Target is 100yds, as fast as I could cycle the action.
The pattern is 50yds, Remington Duplex 2X6

Attachments

• Browning BPS 014.JPG
    Browning BPS 014.JPG
    661.9 KB · Views: 78
  • target 001.jpg
    target 001.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 81
  • camp 7 31 8 1  ashland range 011.JPG
    camp 7 31 8 1 ashland range 011.JPG
    613.8 KB · Views: 78
Buy your TSS a year in advance, if you watch you can get better pricing by buying volume.
I've used it in everything from a 410 to a 12 guage. It's the reason I usually hunt with a 20 gauge now. As far as chokes Carlson has always been very predictable. I'm trying a Sumtoy with a 16 gauge next year. Main thing is know your gun well in advance to hunting season.

Savage 301 T, 20ga. Its short and light. That cheap sucker patterns like a champ. I'm pretty sure my reddot Is 3x the cost of the gun. ;)

wonder if there are any dedicated 28 gauge turkey guns out there?

Apex TSS in my 28 gauge "bird gun" is making good patterns out to 35 yds

going sub gauge soon!

It's my thinking, listening to the voices in my old head argue the need for a specialized, "Turkey Gun." When Turkey Hunting first opened up here in Wisconsin many years ago I tried my Remington 870 12 ga 2 3/4 using 2 3/4 magnum 4 shot. This proved to be a disappointment, primarily because the shotgun had a modified fixed choke barrel so did not really pattern that well. Dicks sporting goods, who at the time sold firearms had Remington 11-87 shotguns on sale. There was no price difference between the 3 in and 3 1/2 inch models so I bought a 3 1/2 inch. With a Caldwell long range turkey choke screwed onto the barrel it held a very tight group out to almost 70 yards. In other words it was quite deadly, but exactly a turkey gun, was touted more as a waterfowl gun. I used that shotgun for just about everything. I hunted with it, I shot trap with it and even tried it for skeet, it was a bit heavy for skeet and was not easy to swing fast enough for skeet. Anyway one of the guys on the trap team I was on made me an offer on the shotgun that I couldn't refuse. That was a big mistake. At the time I had a Remington 1100 3 inch magnum, which would not cycle shooting trap loads. I ended up getting another 1100 in 2 3/4, full choke for trap but it just didn't shoot the same as the 11-87. I then migrated to a Versa Max again in 3 1/2 inch. I took it out to the range only to find that the trigger on it was extremely heavy and gritty. It was impossible to shoot trap, much less anything else. It went in to Remington for repair and came back with a better, but not really nice trigger. It did well on Turkeys but as Remington alluded to it having, "Knock Down Performance," I wasn't quite sure it they were referring to the Bird or knocking down the person shooting the gun. After that I bought a Browning A5, this was a 3 inch which also did well on Turkey, but not so good on anything else. While I had the Browning I came across another 11/87, this one in 3 inch which has become, like the last 11-87 my favorite shotgun. It will shoot anything from trap loads to heavy 3 inch magnum loads interchangeably. It shoots well back up in the 20's on trap and is deadly on Turkeys out to between 60 and 70 yards, again with a Carlson choke and Federal Black Cloud (STEEL) 3 inch magnum 4s.

Now since I have drug you through all of this I am just going to say that a dedicated Turkey gun is a lot of hype again by the gun manufacturers as well as their paid gun writers. All their extolling the virtues of their Turkey guns in reality is nothing more than to get into your pocketbooks. In reality just about any shotgun is a good Turkey gun. It doesn't need all the bells and whistle that these people claim will ensure your success hunting Turkeys. That thumb hole or pistol grip stock is not going to make the shotgun shoot any farther or more accurately than a regular shotgun. The full choke barrels, some fixed will not add anything to the effective range of the shotgun. That is entirely dependent upon the choke, shot size and accuracy and abilities of the shooter. I have tried optics on my shotgun, both a shotgun scope as well as red dot. In the end the plain old bead at the front of the barrel held on the beak of a Tom with his head up and looking around will turn Tom into dinner. A miss is a miss no matter whether it's your brand new Turkey executioner or your trusty old shotgun that you use for everything including Turkey.

In the end, it is your money to spend in any manner that you care to. My point is simply to make a point that you don't need to spend a lot of money on a special Turkey gun. Your trusty Remington, Mossberg, Winchester or any other shotgun is capable or maybe even more capable of putting Tom on the Table.

In closing, if I need to do that...probably not with this crowd anyway is, "The money you save may be your own." Instead of spending it on a gun that is mostly Hype, put it in your piggy bank and save it for that once in a lifetime Elk hunt or Safari to the plains of Africa.

I am looking for a new shotgun for turkey hunting. I've always been a big game hunter and pheasant, but am going to try turkey this spring now. I'm trying to decide between the Weatherby Element turkey or the Mossberg 930 turkey.....

What are the pros and cons between the 2?
Seeing that this thread is almost a year old I was wondering what you decided on?

Not sure on others pick. My go to gun last couple of years is a Benilli M2 in 12 gauge tuned and choked by Joe Morales of Rhino choke fame.
My new infatuation is a sub gauge slam , 28 or 410. Not sure which.
I have had no lost birds with no9 TSS and 12 gauge. Just kicks hard. Lots of targets going to be shot from 20-50 yards before I decide . Florida opener coming soon!

....it's the shells that have changed EVERYTHING in the turkey hunting world !!! TSS will go down in turkey hunting history as having changed an aspect of chasin' em equal to the advent of the mouth call..it's that big of a game changer...any shotgun irregardless of what bells and whistles it has with a load of TSS #9's can handle the vast majority of harvesting without a doubt...