Which tripod type?

nksmfamjp

Seems like tripods are either bowl type or ball head type…..of course those can be combined. What do you use?

Also, does anybody make a shooting height tripod? I think I'd like about 50-55" height with 3 leg sections. Seems like many/most are 60" height and 4 leg sections!

My use/thoughts are I'm looking for something that packs in about 20-24" long pouch and deploys very fast to sitting height…obviously slower to kneeling, prone or standing.

I run a RRS TFCT-33 with anvil head. It's a single lever and incredible range of motion. If your going to be glassing standing you'll need a lot higher apex versus just shooting. Mine is a few inches short for me to glass of comfortably standing so I made a small spacer. It does everything else exceptionally well.

Don't forget vertical extensions. Outdoorsmans makes a great tripod set up for both shooting and glassing. If you need to make rapid elevation changes it is really hard to beat that vertical post, and I was initially opposed to the idea.

My other tripod is a FLM CP30-S4 Series II with a flat platform that I run a ball head on. Its compact and super light, they may have other options that fit more or what you are looking for. Advantage of the ball head over a bowl with a leveling base is range of motion as well as pan ability. The bowl is more stable but also more limited.

My buddy runs the Anvil as well and says its phenomenal. Obviously you are paying a premium for a purpose built platform.

Two vets has a few options that are different weights. I can make this one go tall enough that it is over eye level. I use a ball head but you have to get a good one! If you are going to be doing more shooting off of it get the RRS Anvil 30 and it is awesome but for a glassing and shooting combo the RRS or two vets ball heads work out great!

Attachments

• 262429037_432250775056302_5826348887294179766_n.jpg
    262429037_432250775056302_5826348887294179766_n.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 18
Lots Of good tripods out there. Things to think about, ball heads are better for shooting off of but so-so to glass off of. The lighter thinner legs are nice for packing and will work for most glassing but are not real stable shooting platforms. RRS are really nice but
pricey. Lenfrotto and Slik make good carbon fiber tripods with decent selection of heads.

I have a SLIK Aluminous now. Great, but a little long. Some would say heavy, but I'm ok considering what it does.

Ive been looking at Leofoto and Field Optics Research because of the bowl top option. Looks very handy.