Which three must have calibers.

I only need two. .264 and .308 for medium (deer) to large (elk) size game. If you include small game (varmints/ preditors) I would have to add .224.

Or, "if" you are a hand loader, you can down load or up load the .338 for any big game species.....if you really think that you "need" to down load. The 22 WMR or a 22 RF, could be used for all "small game" and or varmints.

For all big game, small, medium, large, and or dangerous.....it can be accomplished with one cartridge. You just have to choose the correct cartridge! So.....we're back to one cartridge for all big game hunting! :D memtb
Oh I completely understand I've used my 338 to kill everything with the exception of a bobcat in Wv so far . I do handload and I'm a firm believer in proper bullet selection at the proper speed will do as it's designed to do. I've shot a countless number of deer with it and while most think it would tear a deer into Ive found with 225 gr partitions it just flat out does not do that. Nice 338 hole in and maybe a golf ball sized hole out. I've not squarely shot straight into the shoulder because that would ruin a bunch of meat .

Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

Sorry for the edit, but say up to elk for large game.

Here are my choices:
1. 223, cause ammo is cheap and its great for small varmints
2. 25-06, cause its fun, the bullet selection is good, and in the right rifle, it's
a killing machine.
3. 7MM, because of the hi-BC bullets. A 162 grain 7MM like Hornady A-MAX
(BC= 0.625) will kill anything on this continent, and do it out to 1000 yards or so if
properly loaded and in a correctly outfitted rifle.

Which three must have calibers based on current bullet selection, not necessarily cartridges. For medium to large game if you only had three choices. List in order from most important to least important as if you would have to narrow down to only owning the first listed.

Sorry for the edit, but say up to elk for large game.
Since the OP is really asking for calibers not necessarily cartridges, my calibers of choice in order of their importance are; .30, .22 and .41 cal. The .30 for do it all, .22 paper and small pest and .41 to the biggest including dinosaurs and never look back because I believe everything is covered.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts