Which stock for a little, little girl?

WahooYahoo

So I'm gonna build my little girl a rifle. She loves to lay on the floor and shoot the G-sight lazer. Truthfully she shoots and shoots till I'm too tired for her to shoot anymore. But we have been doing that with a little AR I have so I can shorten up the LOP to fit her. She's is super small. That being said, the youth bolt guns that are out there are firstly, too long in the LOP. Secondly, no matter the size, the plastic, junk stocks are just that...junk. The only legit stock I can find is the Manners MCS-CS (or CS2). Is there a stock I'm not considering?
I suppose I am also questioning several aspects of this build. I have been convinced since the beginning that I was gonna build this "kids gun" in .223 for a variety of reasons. But as I think of it now and as this will be a remage build, something with a standard .473 bolt face would be perhaps a better choice as I can convert it to any of a very long list of calibers in a few years when the kids are bigger. I don't necessarily want to reload for the kids gun, so I don't want to build it in a wildcat. What am I not thinking of?

Thanks fellas,
E

I'm in this same dilemma right now with my 5 year old and building a savage rifle for her. I was gonna build a 6mm Creedmoor with a Boyd's AT one stock.

I did a boyd's at one stock for my daughter and it worked great. Plenty of color options as well. The adjustable cheak piece also helps for scope sight picture.

Can I ask yall what your criteria is for a youth stock? In what order of importance do you place: Price, adjustability, weight, quality material and aesthetics? For me it goes 1. weight, kids are small. 2. adjustability 3. quality material. 4. price 5. aesthetics.
I guess I am just curious what other people are looking for in a youth stock.

I can start a new thread if I need to. Just read this thread and it made me wonder what others value.

Ive never seen the At One stock before. Being $1200 cheaper than the Manners just made my sell to Mrs Miller a heap easier. I like the idea of a stocky's made to order too. The adjustability of the Boyd's is danger attractive...
Of the 6 Creedmoor, 243 Win and 22-250, I think the creed gets 1st consideration and 243 second. But not by much. The available ammo for the 243 is deep and wide but the cartridges available fore the 6 CM are more my speed...

And, my list of important criteria is almost the same. Size 1st for me. If it doesn't fit her well, she will develop bad shooting manners to compensate, then weight and so on.

I let my son pick the color - he went with the zombie green. Wasn't my cup of tea, but he loves that freaking gun and the stock. Our range has a 5 hanging steel targets that start at 18" and get progressively smaller to 5" out at 500 yards. We play a game similar Horse and the dang kid beat me today. He was using holdovers with his monarch 4-16x42 and hornady match ammo in his creedmoor. I had my 5r Gen 2 in 260 with a FFP PST 2 shooting prime ammo. I blamed it on the fact I haven't had time to swap triggers and am still trying to squeeze the 5lb xmark pro, but the reality is he is a better shot than me.

Last edited:
Can I ask yall what your criteria is for a youth stock? In what order of importance do you place: Price, adjustability, weight, quality material and aesthetics? For me it goes 1. weight, kids are small. 2. adjustability 3. quality material. 4. price 5. aesthetics.
I guess I am just curious what other people are looking for in a youth stock.

I can start a new thread if I need to. Just read this thread and it made me wonder what others value.
I wasn't too worried about weight - I am anti muzzle brake, so I felt like any weight would help with the recoil of his 6.5 creed.

F8269839-79BB-48CA-A828-7720392FC795.jpeg

My daughter picke out a Boyd's At-one in coyote. Great stock for a kid to grow with

Take into consideration you have a girl, they really have a completely different need in a stock than a dude. I started my daughter with a 6 Br in a Boyds thumb hole with a high roll over cheek, it is a very small grip so she could get good position and still be normal with the trigger, I lopped the stock of right at the end of the comb. She now is 14 and runs a 6.5 Creedmore in a Weatherby Camilla, I can not say enough about how this rifle fits a young lady!! Just make sure you give her something that fits only her, cause then she'll build great form not be pushed into a form which always ends poorly.

.....I guess I am just curious what other people are looking for in a youth stock....

Having done this a couple of times, my thoughts tend to be:
I'm a grandpa cost isn't as big a deal as it is with young families.
Terminology: Youth set ups can be different than a kids set up.
I prefer something smaller-lighter.
As has been said it's more than LOP, I have cut to 10.5" with success. Ideally it's scaled back every where. 16" barrel etc.
Past a certain point you lose durability, and rocking more HP isn't good. Cartridges like .223, 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39 are my choice. Maybe he'll post but TikkaMike put together a really nice .22 Nosler for his family.
The Ruger Hawkeye Compact Rifle is a really nice YOUTH rifle. I've sent one off to be restocked as a synthetic with instruction to make it not just short, but scaled with an eye towards KIDS. Should be back any day.
Reflex sights are kid friendly.
Really 3 ways to go about it, an adjustable LOP on a shared rifle. One of the youth models. Or a pure kids rifle that is a little more elusive .

I started my kids out on a TC/contender in a 300 blackout...single shot easy to operate. I put a M4 style Chote stock..to this day that little gun is a favorite of the family..accurate, light and deadly within 150 yards.

I just got through building a 6.5 creedmoor for my kiddos..it used a manners CS stock..they like it, but find it a lot heavier than the little contender..

Attachments

• IMG_2252.JPG
    IMG_2252.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2734.JPG
    IMG_2734.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 287
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.