Which Sleeping Bag

JohnWess

Hello all,

I am looking for your experience and opinions with backpacking sleeping bags. I am looking to get a new bag for next year and have been researching an ok amount, but want to hear what you all have to say about which bag you use and why. Do you use down or synthetic? What temp rating? Brand preferences?

Thanks in advance for your input!
John

My 3 season bag-> Western Mountaineering Megalite (overstuffed to 20 F.) down bag. I have used it very comfortably with mid weight polyester long johns & light fleece balaclava to 15 F. using a Thermarest Trail Pro mattress. It is sold as a 30 F. bag and in my experience works to 26 F. but I sent it back to have it overstuffed for a 20 F. rating. That overstuffing fee was the best $45. I ever spent on outdoor gear.

My winter bag-> LL Bean -20 F. down bag (Best winter bag I have ever seen or used.) For the money it is an excellent buy. I believe it is still on a double sale right now.
REI FLASH Insulated air mattress. In sub zero temps I add a Thermarest Ridgerest foam mat beneath it.

** I have never needed to carry my winter bag for hunting. If it was unexpectedly cold with the 3 season bag there is enough room inside the Megalite that I can wear my light down jacket and insulated pants which I am confident would carry me comfortably to 10 F. A light fleece balaclava and heavy "sleep socks" are necessary in cold weather. The balaclava is also a safety item for use anytime.

Eric B.

P..S I have been a Nordic (XC) Ski Patroller for 10 years and an alpine Ski Patroller for 6 years and a US Army ROTC cadet Winter Survival Instructor.

Last edited:
What type of weather are you planning on using the bag in. Is weight and amount of room it takes up in your pack important. Type of tent or shelder you will be using. Are you going to be using a cot or pad? Reason for all the questions is, I started using a quilt and really like it. But might not be my choice if camping in cold weather and sleeping in a tent with no heat. Also a good pad with a decent r value helps. Good luck

I generally do solo backpack hunt and hikes on the AT so that's what by gear is based on. For anything 30 degrees and above (and even down to 20 degrees) I use an Enlightened Equipment 20 degree quilt. I believe it's some where around 25 oz and I prefer a quilt paired with a good insulated pad (I use a Big Agnes insulated pad) for anything above 30. It's lighter and more packable than a mummy bag and allows me to easily vent for warmer temps in early season hunts. Those quilts are also large enough to tuck under to prevent drafts in cooler temps.

For anything colder I use either a 0-10 degree down mummy bag in dryer cold conditions or a synthetic in wet cold conditions. The reason for the synthetic is that I will try and "bake" my self dry should I get wet (this is especially important since I am usually hunting solo). I have a Sierra designs down and mountain hardware synthetic.

If you answer the following, we can provide more informed answers.

1. Temperature range where you plan to sleep?
2. Environment - Wet, dry, humid, etc.?
3. Do you sleep wearing any insulating layers?
4. At home, do you sleep warm or cold?
5. Is weight of pack a concern?
6. Type of tent? Heater?
7. Do you use a pee bottle? (A few will understand this one)

Looking forward to your answers.

Rogue

Thanks for all of the reply's so far! I look forward to reading them after I answer some of these questions.

I am thinking Western States (WY, MT, ID, UT, etc.) and for this one I am mainly looking at mid to late season (Oct.-Dec.) elk and deer hunting.

The weather out here is typically dry, however, snow is probable in this time period.

The Temp range can be anywhere from 0 to 40 degrees.

Weight and amount of room it takes up in my pack is important to me. With that being said, If there is a bag/quilt that will be better for me and weighs a few ounces more I am not super worried about it.

I will be using a Cabela's two person backpacking tent.

I will be using a sleeping pad. Not sure if insulated or not yet.

If cold enough my source of heat is heating up water in my Jetboil and putting it in a Nalgene at my feet.

At home I sleep warm (i.e. I like the house cool).

I plan on wearing just compression leggings to sleep. Unless I get wet that day. Then, I would like the ability to bake myself dry as Beardeddeer91 speaks of.

No pee bottle.

I hope this answers them all. I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

John

The weather out here is typically dry, however, snow is probable in this time period.

The Temp range can be anywhere from 0 to 40 degrees.

Weight and amount of room it takes up in my pack is important to me. With that being said, If there is a bag/quilt that will be better for me and weighs a few ounces more I am not super worried about it.

I will be using a Cabela's two person backpacking tent.

I will be using a sleeping pad. Not sure if insulated or not yet.

If cold enough my source of heat is heating up water in my Jetboil and putting it in a Nalgene at my feet.

At home I sleep warm (i.e. I like the house cool).

I plan on wearing just compression leggings to sleep. Unless I get wet that day. Then, I would like the ability to bake myself dry as Beardeddeer91 speaks of.

No pee bottle.

I hope this answers them all. I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

John

I would caution against warming up a water bottle for two reasons. First, it is likely that you may sweat when the bottle is warm and subsequently become very cold after the bottle cools. Second, if the bottle itself opens then you will soak all of your sleeping equipment, which could be very bad news, especially in a survival situation (and if you are using down equipment).

I'm order to "bake" yourself dry, keep in mind that you need a high quality quick drying base layer (most likely synthetic). Your bag should also be able to insulate properly when wet (I.e, synthetic). I would highly suggest looking into and researching this before you rely on it.

I would caution against warming up a water bottle for two reasons. First, it is likely that you may sweat when the bottle is warm and subsequently become very cold after the bottle cools. Second, if the bottle itself opens then you will soak all of your sleeping equipment, which could be very bad news, especially in a survival situation (and if you are using down equipment).

I'm order to "bake" yourself dry, keep in mind that you need a high quality quick drying base layer (most likely synthetic). Your bag should also be able to insulate properly when wet (I.e, synthetic). I would highly suggest looking into and researching this before you rely on it.

That is a good point on the bottle, I appreciate that. I personally have not done it. But I have thought to myself that it may be an ok idea if I get too cold. But you bring up some good points as to why not to do that. And I absolutely will be researching a ton. I just wanted to get a bit of a starting point and get other opinions to research as well.

Thank you for supplying more information. Most of my backpacking trips are in the summer into Sept. Yes at the elevations we hunt and camp it can and does get below freezing. Temperature runs 20 to 45 for the lows most nights. I take a set of merino wool long johns to sleep in and my quilt does fine. At the time of year you are talking about and you are liable to see snow you will probably want a good quality bag. Litehiker advise will probably be pretty good. He seems to have a good amount of experience with this type of camping. The one thing I would add is get a good pad with a good r value. To me this is almost as important as the bag itself. The one I have is something like exped (can't remember the name of it). But it has down filling and a built-in pump to air it up. Weighs a couple lbs. and is warm and comfortable (that is considering you are sleeping on the ground.) One thing to remember, when you are packing in especially during the winter the quality of the the gear used is probably going to either make or break the experience. Best of luck and have a good time.

Thank you for supplying more information. Most of my backpacking trips are in the summer into Sept. Yes at the elevations we hunt and camp it can and does get below freezing. Temperature runs 20 to 45 for the lows most nights. I take a set of merino wool long johns to sleep in and my quilt does fine. At the time of year you are talking about and you are liable to see snow you will probably want a good quality bag. Litehiker advise will probably be pretty good. He seems to have a good amount of experience with this type of camping. The one thing I would add is get a good pad with a good r value. To me this is almost as important as the bag itself. The one I have is something like exped (can't remember the name of it). But it has down filling and a built-in pump to air it up. Weighs a couple lbs. and is warm and comfortable (that is considering you are sleeping on the ground.) One thing to remember, when you are packing in especially during the winter the quality of the the gear used is probably going to either make or break the experience. Best of luck and have a good time.
I appreciate it!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.