which side arm?

I carry a glock 29 and use the double tap 200 gr WFNGC bullets. I dont worry about brown bears as there are extremely rare where Im at just black bears. As others have stated I'm more concerened about problem arising from the two legged animals. If I choose I can have my 15 round clip full of bullets, more is definitely better. The 10mm is a powerful round, not as powerful as the 41 as people claim but as good or better than a 357 mag and this is plenty of power for where I am at. I have heard these are gaining popularity in alaska and the Danish military sirrius patrol went to the Glock 20 because to deal with polar bears. Also Ted Nugent put down a black buffalo with a Glock 20 so they have power.

I either carry Sub compact Springfield XD or my FNX both in .40 S&W they both are easy to carry or in my bow hunting pack. Not to much recoil and can still put the smack down on something if I needed to.

Here in IA we cannot carry a side arm during bow season. It's been argued in the past...but never won. If I could...I'd pry carry my Glock 19 that I carry daily.

I pack a tit. 4'' S&W 44 w/300 in grizz. If not I have started carrying my 5 shot 357. Because my main hunting buddy has been stalked by 3 cats. One he shot at 8 yrds inID, AFTER YELLING at it and waving bow, and same year my kid was stalked by cat, and missed w/ bow, young, and cat showed up again and he shot it w/ his 22 cal pellet gun. Mom was not happy and his buddy freaked out . Just too many preditors these days, plain and simple

I carry a .44mag. It's a S&W 329 Night Guard, small, under 30 oz, 6 shots, and carries a thump.

Jon

IMAG0020.jpg

I'm probably odd man out but I use a 1911/45. Only because it's good for 8 shots of hardball into a 4" area evey time in under 4 seconds at 15 yards. Been with me for 30 years.

I personally don't carry a sidearm when bowhunting, (only because since I am underage I don't own a handgun), however I qould recommend getting either a 6 shot .357 with a 4" barrel, (pretty much any maker will work, but I do personally like Smith & Wessons or Rugers the most), or a GLOCK in either .40S&W, .45ACP, or 10MM. Just remember that no matter which gun you get, make sure it's reliable and make sure you have good ammunition, especially if you use a semi auto firearm, since if you have a faulty primer the you will have to clear the malfunction in order to fire again and if you have a charging boar or worse a charging bear then if you need to take a second shot then if you have to clear a malfunction then you might not have time. So in that sense, a revolver is a good option, however for the weight and magazine capacity I do prefer the GLOCK. Just make sure you are good with it, and good at shooting one handed, because if you are holding your bow in one hand then you don't wanna just throw down your bow if possible. Anyways, hope this helps. :) Sincerely- Ace762.

I carry my Beretta PX4 Storm in the .40 caliber whenever I am legally allowed to. When I'm pig hunt, deer during rifle season, or even when I'm just going to check the trail cameras. You never know whats going to show up.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.