which side arm?

3toes

do you carry a side arm while bowhunting? if so which and what caliber? if not what cal. do you think would be best?

do you carry a side arm while bowhunting? if so which and what caliber? if not what cal. do you think would be best?

Where/When its legal I like to carry a Titainum 44 special.

It's light and powerful. easy to carry and handy when one of those
big hogs or other nasties refuses to leave this world.

I like it even when rifle hunting hogs because some times a big sow will
show her motherly side if you kill one of her babys.

I once made the mistake of wading in to a uncut corn field with my bow
and proceeded to arrow a small pig. He passed on very fast but not
fast enough .

He started squealing and the corn field came alive with mad hogs, So I did
the smart thing and got the hell out of there.

From then on I carried a sidearm .

Also I tried different pistols and found that the heaver they were the more
tempted I was to leave them behind, so the Titainum pistol solved this problem .

J E CUSTOM

J E, i here ya on the weight issue i have a super red hawk 454 casul, its just not practicle or safe in my opinion to climb atree with. i kinda like the springfield arms XDm in .40 . it will be used for bear protection in wi. & colarado what do you think?

J E, i here ya on the weight issue i have a super red hawk 454 casul, its just not practicle or safe in my opinion to climb atree with. i kinda like the springfield arms XDm in .40 . it will be used for bear protection in wi. & colarado what do you think?

I like the 40s.44s and 45s because of bullet weight.

I to have a 454 casull but it is very heavy and bulky.

Any of the compact 40s,10mm,44s and 45s should work fine.

But for a backup weapon a wheel gun is hard to beat because of dependability(if you have a missfire you simply pull the trigger again and a new round showes up ready to save your ***.

Don't get me wrong I like my 10mm smith and my 45 raptor but I still carry my titainum 44 spec.
because of weight and power ( the ammo weighs as much as the pistol) Weird but effective.

45 long colt is also a good round but most of the pistols that use this round are single actions
and a quick follow up shot may be nessary.

J E CUSTOM

I carry a Glock 21 converted to 45 Super when I'm allowed to carry a side arm , and when we catch pigs its always on my side. I run a 200gr Honady XTP out at 1200fps , it will go to 1300fps but its hard on the brass.

for bear country I carry a Ruger Bisley 5 and half inch built by John Linebaugh himself , its a cannon but fairly controlable , actualy more so that the couple 454's I've shot

I load a 400gr Hornady XTP over 29 grs of W-296 and it gives just over 1400fps MV. I wish Hondays would make a Partition bullet in this diameter at around 350grs , that would make for an awsome combo.

What are you going to use it for? It's hard to pick a cal without an intended use. In general handguns aren't worth a crap as back up. If you are going after wounded animals that can hurt or kill you a slug gun or large cal rifle is best. You will never see a PH use a handgun as back up BUT if it is all you can use and it is for dangerous animals I would use the largest I could shoot. On that note i've shot deer wiith a 9mm 40 and 45 and was not impressed with any of them.

As reliable as some may say, I would stear clear of a semi autos if you are in bear country. I'm sure someone will chime in and say diff. I would also highly recommend a .40 caliber up. My father in his younger days while guiding for bear and moose in AK would never allow any client to enter his camps without a .300 or bigger and if carrying a side arm, it had to be .40 and up. He has been in many situations that could have been prevented with a bigger caliber or better shot placement. Even though shot placement is key, you can't always make a great shot in certain situation, and that is when you need something with some knock down power. I live here in Montana and there was a bowhunter a few years back that pumped several .357 rounds into a bear that did nothing but anger the SMALL boar even more. Unfortinatly, he did not survive the attack. He had an elk on the ground that the bear wanted.

I like a 4 inch double action revolver in .44 mag or .45 long colt.Shoot heavy hard cast bullets around 300 grains.For sure there are more powerful rigs out there but some are a bit hard to carry and may have a tendency to cause a guy to flinch.

I carry a Taurus Tracker in 44 mag. It's a 5 shot double action in stainless with a 4 inch barrel. It's fairly light so I don't feel I should ever leave it behind. It's also ported so it's not to hard on your hands.
For bear protection the 40's or 45's do NOT have enough whop. You need a 44 mag and up. This pretty much leaves out the auto's unless you try a big desert eagle but then you won't want to carry that.
For stricktly bear protection the 500 s&w would be the ultimate if you felt you could shoot it effectivley in a crisis situation but it's very heavy. If I could pick any one handgun for bow hunting it would be the titanium s&w in 44 mag, ultralight and tons of knock down power.

I ran across an article recently in Petersen's Handgun Hunting that had some stated minimums for black bear handgun hunting: 200g bullet, at least 1000fps, at least .40 cal. Double Tap sells .40 S&W ammo loaded to 1050fps (4" barrel, 1100fps with 4.5" barrel) with a 200g Hornady XTP. Many handgun hunters seem to use the Hornday XTP--slower to expand and better to penetrate than typical defense bullets is my understanding. Obviously, this DT ammo is just over this 'published minimum', for what that's worth. Stopping a mad/scared bear is probably a good deal different than hunting one, however. Just some info for thought that I ran across. I still think I'd prefer to carry a .41 mag or 10mm at least, but the numbers from the DT ammo above are getting very close to standard 10mm loads numbers. It must be loaded a little hot.

thank you for taking time to reply, 44 mag wheel gun it is!!. by the way did you happen to see the pics of the mnt. lion in spooner wi?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.