Which short action magnum?

Just a hunter

Okay good people I'm looking for input again. I have a Remington 700 short action with the .540 bolt face. I was leaning toward building a 270 WSM fast twist but I don't see a lot of options for bullets. I have never owned anything in a 27 except my dad's 270 Win that I got when he passed and I didn't want to hunt with it, it's put up to keep and pass down to the next generation. I killed one deer with it and put it up.

What would you guys build and why? The 270 WSM interested me for the speed. I figure I would have to put a Wyatt's extended mag box in it to benefit from the fast twist and longer bullets wouldn't I? Look forward to seeing everyone's choices and why. Thank you.

First of all, go get the "old" 270 out of the safe and feed it some "old school" 130 pills and send a lightning bolt through anything you point it at! Never seen a more empathetic killer of deer/pigs/song dogs....than a 270win win 130gr seeds.

With that being said, that makes a 270wsm that much better!!! I know today's fashion is the PRC, but it's just a wanna be WSM! WSM all the way brother, and don't look back!

With a short action , your better off with the saum case, a touch shorter so it actually fits in a short action with fairly long ,high BC bullets. If your fine with short bullets then disregard and do a wsm.
The 6.8 western is basically a shortened 270wsm, so that too will be a good option, although brass options might suck.
I usually base my build around what bullet I want to send at what speed and build from there. I also REALLY value quality brass. ADG, Alpha for small cartridges, Lapua and Peterson, if one of them don't make brass for it, I'm not too interested. Oh, and find and buy enough brass to shoot the barrel out or last decades, whichever comes first. Say 200 brass for a 7 saum is enough.

I should have said in my first post, I will be deer hunting in NC with no need for anything more than a 30-30 probably but there's a difference between a need and a want. Despite what my mom still says, I'm not old enough that my wants won't hurt me 😂. I get the whole, a deer won't know the difference between the 270 Win or the WSM or lots and lots of other calibers but I like different cartridges. Gotta have options!

I should have said in my first post, I will be deer hunting in NC with no need for anything more than a 30-30 probably but there's a difference between a need and a want. Despite what my mom still says, I'm not old enough that my wants won't hurt me 😂. I get the whole, a deer won't know the difference between the 270 Win or the WSM or lots and lots of other calibers but I like different cartridges. Gotta have options!
You will be fine with what you have. For shooting. Good luck.
show us a bunch of pictures!
God Bless
Len & Jill

Well, if you don't think you're getting into long range with that rifle , then just a 270 wizzum with 130-150 fusion bullets will work fine. Or whatever shoots well. And it'll still work fine out west to pretty solid distances for sure. Just be aware of length restrictions if getting all handloady and long rangy with it👍🏼

I will definitely be handloading and I will likely test it at the range here that I access to. I'd like to be able to load it with a target bullet for ringing steel and a hunting bullet for ringing deer ears.

Educate me on the 7mm SAUM and WSM. I have a 7 Rem Mag but I see the advantage of the short action. Why do I see that most people seem to prefer the SAUM over the WSM? I have a 300 WSM and an extra action so I was looking for different. I know there are tons of bullets for the 7mm's. I jumped straight to the 270 for the speed but I don't have to have a 27. I am open to others. I don't even know all that can be chambered and run in the configuration I have. I thought about the 6.8 Western but there again, wouldn't I run into issues of short mag box and having to single feed if I settled on it and a long bullet?

Well, show you how uneducated I am, I looked at my Hornady manual and it says the 7 WSM outruns the 270 WSM. I guess I was expecting the smaller caliber and I made the assumption the same case capacity, the 270 would be at least a little faster. I'm okay with a 7 WSM but it appears components are nearly non-existent. Can someone tell me if I would have to fit a longer magazine and do any bolt stop work to run say the 162 ELD-M?

Well, show you how uneducated I am, I looked at my Hornady manual and it says the 7 WSM outruns the 270 WSM. I guess I was expecting the smaller caliber and I made the assumption the same case capacity, the 270 would be at least a little faster. I'm okay with a 7 WSM but it appears components are nearly non-existent. Can someone tell me if I would have to fit a longer magazine and do any bolt stop work to run say the 162 ELD-M?
If you decide to go with a 7 WSM, I have ~200factory rounds I will sell you to get you started

Educate me on the 7mm SAUM and WSM. I have a 7 Rem Mag but I see the advantage of the short action. Why do I see that most people seem to prefer the SAUM over the WSM? I have a 300 WSM and an extra action so I was looking for different. I know there are tons of bullets for the 7mm's. I jumped straight to the 270 for the speed but I don't have to have a 27. I am open to others. I don't even know all that can be chambered and run in the configuration I have. I thought about the 6.8 Western but there again, wouldn't I run into issues of short mag box and having to single feed if I settled on it and a long bullet?
With the 6.8 western you should be able to run some of the longer bullets because the case is a bit shorter. Same reason the SAUM is much loved vs the WSM. A longer mag box always helps so just plan on doing the wyatt no matter what.
7wsm brass is almost non existent, whereas 7saum brass is supported, but also hard to find at the moment. If I was going to build a 7 saum, I'd just do the 7 sherman short or max to maximize that case(also brass and dies are readily available) and you can still shoot factory 7saum out of one of the two of them.

Recent Posts