Which scopes for Rimfire?

gunsmith61

I am interested in your opinions as to best scopes for rimfire? Is there alot of difference (other than magification) between scopes designed for rimfire? As opposed to centerfire?

Gunsmith

I will assume you are talking about the .22LR

Speaking generally some points are

1) Cheeper scopes can be very satisfactory on rimfire rifles, the same scopes might fall apart on centrefire rifles.

2) If the scope does not have a parallex adjustment, a 50 or 60 yards factory parallez setting is more suitable for rimfires than the usual 100 yard factory parallex setting.

3) Size, weight and magnification are a matter of personal choice. Not realy rimfire/centrefire specific.

Rgds

I have a cheap 4-12x42AO Nikko Sterling gold crown on my .22lr. It seems ok i've used it a few time at 200y and it always comes back to zero. Kinda annoyed that i run out of elevation at +25moa. .22lr at 300y would be fun
smile.gif

i love my simmons that came on my savage 93 wmr 3-9 *40 i can shoot out to 300 yds the max distance of the range i use i have set it at 200 and that seems to be the best for my rifle and i can shoot at 25 50 100 yds with a little hold under and out to 300 with hold over i dont use elevation adjustments only windage cuz i have it figured out perfect for distance and am super confident with it :)gun)

Well, It depends on how you are using your rimfire rifle. I use a Weaver K-4 on my Sako Model 78 .22, hunting rifle while my daughter's Savage 23 AA has Redfield 4X. We do some hunting for jackrabbits and cottontails and need to take quick shots, so low magnification helps in acquiring the critter quickly.

On the other hand, my rimfire silhouette competition rifles use Weaver T=24 scopes, since shooting is deliberate, at small targets and at longer ranges.

I think what really matters in a rimfire rifle scope are acceptable reticle resolution and clarity, as well as the ability to maintain zero over time.

Good luck,

I put a couple Pentax, I think they are the gameseeker models, on 2 different 22WMR's that I have. For the money they were pretty good little scopes. I was impressed with their brightness and clarity for only being $120 scopes.

I didnt wanna break the bank on my 10/22, but I wanted a decent scope, was gonna put a Nikon Prostaff on it, but then I found a smokin deal on a used Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 ($100), so thats whats on it... I nfact that, a ER Shaw SS barrel and a Hogue stock is all ive done. And this things a shooter... I actually just got back from the range... I finally found what ammo it likes... :D

100 yards, 5 shotsgun)
elytarget.jpg

Regardless of magnification make sure it's got a bunch of elevation adjustment.
22lr drop off can be significant especially with standard velocity/match/subsonic.

I've got a bausch and lomb that is excellent but only has 20moa of vertical so I'm out of luck past 100m. I could have gotten something and 25% of the price and would have gotten me further.

Regardless of magnification make sure it's got a bunch of elevation adjustment.
22lr drop off can be significant especially with standard velocity/match/subsonic.

I've got a bausch and lomb that is excellent but only has 20moa of vertical so I'm out of luck past 100m. I could have gotten something and 25% of the price and would have gotten me further.
LOL, a lot has changed in 18 yrs