Which scope?

JTH

I'm in the process of collecting all the parts and pieces for a long range hunting rig. Bought a Rem Sendero SFII in 7MM Rem Mag, which I will have cerakoted after I get a badger tactical bolt knob installed. Badger rings and bases have been ordered and will be cerakoted as well.

Looking for some feedback on scopes. I have no idea yet where I'm going to shoot this rig beyond 200 yards, but have every intention of finding a place to practice out to 600. Ranges beyond that I don't have any plans for at this time. The rifle is being set up for elk, deer and antelope hunting.

I've been looking at the Swarovski Z6 line, specifically the 2-12x50mm with ballistic turret. Seems like a very nice unit, I like that you can dial it down to 2x and get 63' FOV at 100 yards for the times when something comes in close and on the move. Also somewhat interested in the lit reticles.

Also looked at the Nightforce NXS line today for the first time. Seemed very nice optically and very well built. I'm a little hesitant about a full blown tactical scope for hunting due to the possibility of turrets inadvertantly being changed when you're going through brush, etc. Also disapointed in the limited selection of power range in 50mm objective scopes. With a 3.5x on the low side, FOV at 100 yards is only 27.6 feet. Overall I was and remain very impressed with these scopes, just not sure they fit my needs as a hunting scope. Before I dismiss them, are any of you hunting with these scopes?

I currently have a Zeiss Diavari FFP 2.5-10 50mm on another gun which I have been happy with and would consider another. It's really the turret's on the two models above that have me thinking about a different brand.

What would you put on your hunting rifle?

Is anybody not using a NF to hunt?LOL. I certainly am. My guns see harder use than most anyones for more days a year(I dont work from sep-jan....deer season isnt it?). And I havent had turret moving issues. The zero stops really make it ez with a quick glance is it 0 or not? The knobs dont turn THAT EASILY. Yes it could happen. Your diavari caps could also come unscrewed and then move zero....do you lie awake at night worrying about that one? LOL. I think either of the scopes mentioned would be the cats meow. Im a nightforce guy but Ive been shooting the np-r2 since it came out so I stay with them. If the reticle choice isnt an issue its a wash. If youre not Bill GAtes the vortex is something you should look thru side by side before you buy. The only things a nightforce has over the zeiss is reticle choices, durability(make a great bear club if scope fails on a charging brownie) and resale value. Zeiss holds value well but I've MADE MONEY every time I sold a nightforce, the stock market oughta sell NF futures.....lets see if theyll hit $5k this year gawd knows leupold did.

I have a Sako Grey Wolf 85 in 7mag with a PV 4-16X50 PA Swarovski on it with the 4A reticle shooting factory ammo Federal Premium 150gr Ballistic tips and it's no problem shooting to 600yrds even in low light. The Z6 is a great scope but I dont think you need the Ballistic Turets.

Find several friends who have those types of scopes that are set up correctly and try them out Also try out a Huskemaw that has been set up correcty. I thing you will like Huskemaw but then I could be slightly biased! Killing groundhogs at 1200 yards can do that to you!

Thanks for the replies. I got the rings and bases mounted, so decided to take the Zeiss Diavari off another rifle and mount it so I could shoot this new one. At 200 yards the reticle on the FFP scope seemed to be a bit large. Also thought I could use a little more magnification, but wanted to keep a wide field of view on the low end. With the Diavari's 50mm bell on the medium Badger rings I had some room to play with, so I went with the Z6 2.5-15 with a 56mm bell. I went with the BRI reticle. Fits the rifle perfectly with this ring setup. Shot it again this weekend, very happy with the scope so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.