Which scope? Leupy or nightforce?

Fotis

I am torn

this

Night Force NXS 5.5-22x56 MLR Milrad

or this

LEUPOLD MARK 4 LR/T RIFLE SCOPE 8.5-25 X 50 M1 MIL DOT

Also not too familiar with the milrad? any insight?

I went through this earlier and I'll tell you why I chose NF.

I was debating the Mark 4 4.5-14 or NXS 3.5-15.

• Magnification range was close enough to not matter to me
  • Wanted reticle to match turrets. Leupold only offers 0.05 mrad adjustments. I felt like 0.1 mrad was a good compromise and didn't want to go any smaller. I also would not want 1/8 MOA clicks.
  • Leupold has a reputation for quality scopes and outstanding service, and I've experienced the quality service once.
  • NF has a reputation for a bulletproof scope. I didn't read a lot about their service, but what I read was all good.
  • Nightforce is heavier and bigger. Smaller would have been nice, but wasn't a deciding factor
  • NF reticles are all illuminated - extra option on Leupold
  • Of the ones I compared, the NF has about 10 MOA more adjustment. I didn't compare the range on your two models
  • Leupold was cheaper, which may not be your case
In the end I chose NF for their reputation for quality and ruggedness, the 0.1 mrad clicks, and the lighted reticle. The Leupold TMR reticle is more similar to the MLR than MilDot, and it's available on the 8.5-25. You might look at the 50mm 5.5-22 instead of the 56mm. You could keep it a little closer to the bore and I don't think lose anything.

Good luck!

http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/mildot_moa.asp

Last edited:
When they say all reticles are illuminated do they mean that every NF scope needs batteries. Sorry ....... but that is the only type of illuminated scopes I have ever seen.

Also can someone explain the NP-1RR Reticle to me? Way too busy reticle. Thank you gents.

I'd go Mk4
It matches the NXS in every way that matters, (except zero-stop) and;
It's lighter
It's lower mounting
The eyepiece dosen't turn with power changes
Alumina accessories(like the best flip-up covers ever made)
Get it custom here: Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M1 Illuminated Reticle Long Range Tactical Rifle Scope Personalized by Leupold Custom Shop FREE S&H LU-RS-M4-85-25x50-LRTM1-IL-Custom-61990, LU-RS-M4-85-25x50-LRTM1-IL-Custom-60065.

And if you're not even familiar with mils, or mildots, then it doesn't make sense to challenge yourself in that regard.

When they say all reticles are illuminated do they mean that every NF scope needs batteries.
Need? No. The reticle works just fine without them during the day or even I guess on a bright night. The reticle will not light without them, however, like the Trijicons.

Also can someone explain the NP-1RR Reticle to me? Way too busy reticle. Thank you gents
The diameter of each of the circles in the bottom of the reticle is 9" at max power at the stated ranges.
From the line above the range to the line on top of and tangent to the circle is 18" at the stated ranges.

Center crosshair to each smaller dot left, right, and down is 4 MOA.
Center crosshair to where the horizontal line turns thicker is 8 MOA.
The vertical lines under the left and right dots are 1 MOA through 4 MOA below the horizontal crosshair.
The dots below the crosshair are at 4, 8, and 15, and 20 MOA holdovers.

I'd go Mk4
It matches the NXS in every way that matters, (except zero-stop) and;
It's lighter
It's lower mounting
The eyepiece dosen't turn with power changes
Alumina accessories(like the best flip-up covers ever made)
Get it custom here: Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M1 Illuminated Reticle Long Range Tactical Rifle Scope Personalized by Leupold Custom Shop FREE S&H LU-RS-M4-85-25x50-LRTM1-IL-Custom-61990, LU-RS-M4-85-25x50-LRTM1-IL-Custom-60065.

And if you're not even familiar with mils, or mildots, then it doesn't make sense to challenge yourself in that regard.

The Leupy has MK lV has 70 MOA of adjustment and the Nightforce has 100 MOA of adjustment. The Nightforce is rated for 1250 G's bothe positive and negetive

The Nightforce is a rock solid scope that will serve you well. The adjustments are positive and precise and are true MOA and not IPHY

This is becoming harder by the minute. Anyway no fights fellas please. I am just gathering info before I spend 1.5K.

What about a IOR VALADA 3-18X42, LOOKS like a nice scope to me anybody have any thoughts on them, I like the zoom range.

The Leupy has MK lV has 70 MOA of adjustment and the Nightforce has 100 MOA of adjustment. The Nightforce is rated for 1250 G's bothe positive and negetive

The Nightforce is a rock solid scope that will serve you well. The adjustments are positive and precise and are true MOA and not IPHY

I agree, I have owned both NXS's and Mark IV's just the detents and the positive stops of the NightForce is enough for me to give the NF the thumbs up. Nothing worse than those tiny little clicks that are not positive.

I just bought an IOR 6-24 x 50 Tactical with 34mm tube. In my opinion the IOR has a more positive turret than the Mark IV but the NF still has a much nicer turret. If you have to choose between one of the 3 and the price is close. Nightforce all the way.

POP, go somewhere and get them both in your hand and play with the turrets then you will know.

Jeff

Broz, I would like to go somewhere and look at a IOR. The main reason I LIKE IT IS THE lower power setting, because when I come off the ridge it is tight timber. Do you like the larger radius top turret and do you have the mp-8, and finally is it a durable type scope, Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.