Which scope? Help me decide.

jmden

I think I know the answer to this question, but want to make sure I'm aware of all the options, so I'm asking you guys.

Most of my big game hunting is wilderness backpack hunting so lightweight, compact and functional are very important principles. So, is there a scope out there that is less than 23 oz., has 1/4 MOA wind and ele. turrets, an MOA based reticle such as NF NPR1, a bottom end mag. of 3-4.5 and a top end mag. of 18-22?

I've a feeling I'll end up with NF 5.5-22 to get the matching knobs and reticles (Why is it that so few manufactures manage to offer both MOA knobs and reticles in the same scope?) in MOA, even though I wish it was lighter and had a lower bottom end mag. I'd go with Leup, but the concept of offering an MOA reticle seems almost foreign to them in conversations I've had and their mag. ranges leave a little to be desired (which, to their credit, they realize and are working on.) I do really like the 3.8-18x mag. range of the 56mm VX-7L, but, again, no MOA based reticle.

Any other ideas?

Not 23oz, but USO SN-3 3.8-22x44 or SN-3 3.2-17x44. They've got a few MOA reticle options, a couple 1/4 MOA turret options. The 17x is a half pound lighter.

Lightweight and compact with those specs will be hard to find, I think.

Depending on how far you plan to shoot, why not look at a Nightforce 2.5x10x32mm, weight is 19oz. I like their illuminated reostat better than on their full size scopes. Easier to adjust brightness.Shawn uses it at I think 1200 yards, and I have taken mine out to 750 and not had any problems hitting MOA targets with it.
Does not have an NP-R1, but an NP-R2 reticle. But at those distances, I dial my drop anyway, so no big deal. I mounted mine with one piece Talley rings to save weight, and my DE adj cheek works perfect.

Nightforce is awesome and I will own one some day. I currently have 2 Zeiss Conquest scopes that are awesome scopes for the price. One is a target turret 4.5-14x50 on a 300RUM and the other has the Rapid Z 800 on a 300WSM. I shoot both very well out to 600 meters, they are light and the optics are great. The 6.5-20x50 sounds like it would work very well for you. I believe the weight is around 24 oz.

Good Luck, tough decision but fun to make.

Not 23oz, but USO SN-3 3.8-22x44 or SN-3 3.2-17x44. They've got a few MOA reticle options, a couple 1/4 MOA turret options. The 17x is a half pound lighter.

Lightweight and compact with those specs will be hard to find, I think.
Thanks, Nomad. I've looked at USA, but maybe I should look closer at that 3.2 x 17. That might come very close to what I'm lookin for.

Edit: It's still pretty heavy at 2lbs. 10 oz. Heavier than the NF. I'd go with a VX-3 if I could get a wider zoom range and an MOA reticle

Last edited:
Holland's ART reticle is MOA from the cross-hair going down. VX-3 or Mark 4's.
In the Mark 4 in the first or second focal plane.
Holland's ART is also available in the NF 2.5-10 and in the FFP NXS 3.5-15

Take a look at March Hunting Scopes (link below). 2.5-25X42 at 21.5 oz. They are MOA adjustable. The reticle's may not suit your needs though.

25X-25X42_Scope

Aren't these scopes the $ equivalent of a downpayment on a home? With a limited, nontransferable warranty at that?

I guess there were no cost limitations specified though.

Aren't these scopes the $ equivalent of a downpayment on a home? With a limited, nontransferable warranty at that?

I guess there were no cost limitations specified though.

I priced the March Hunting Scope (2.5-25X42) in April of this year and with the Duplex reticule it was $1820.00. I see that as very completive with Nightforce and USO especially on a carry hunting rifle where weight is priorty.

Do March scopes have a transferable warranty? I thought they cost more than that, but I was probably only seeing the MSRP prices.

I can't remember where I read it from but I think it comes with only 5-year warranty.

Added:

Before everybody jumps on the March scope bandwagon some things to consider are:

No lifetime warranty, I'm told 5 years.

If you do have a problem who can fix it? Kelblys, or a trip back to Japan?

For that kind of money I'd expect a lifetime warranty, and repair service within the CONUS.

http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2111358

Last edited:
I can't remember where I read it from but I think it comes with only 5-year warranty.

Added:

Before everybody jumps on the March scope bandwagon some things to consider are:

No lifetime warranty, I'm told 5 years.

If you do have a problem who can fix it? Kelblys, or a trip back to Japan?

For that kind of money I'd expect a lifetime warranty, and repair service within the CONUS.

March Scope Update -

Those were some of my conerns with them as well. And the fact that I'd have to order the tactical version of the 2.5 x 25 to get the reticle I want and that's listing for nearly $2200--that is getting up there... But I sure do like the size and weight, it has a decent reticle offering and huge zoom range with top tier glass--wow--but why not offer a lifetime warranty? A lifetime warranty is getting to pretty much be an industry standard and it is certainly strike against March to not have it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.