Which scope for my build?

bh5k

I am building a .300 RUM and am still debating on the scope. I am leaning towards a Nightforce, but some people are recommending a March. This is a complete custom build, what would you guys recommend?

Either the NF 5.5-22 or Zeiss Diavari 6-24 would be fine choices. Diavari glass is as good as it gets IMO and NF scopes are tough as nails. Or, get the best of both worlds and buy Hensoldt.

Hmm, would you not go with a higher power NF (or other scope for that matter)?

as you go up higher power NF, you lose some adjustment range, not sure how much of a concern that is for you. just saying, also, make sure to look through any scope you decide on, I have been looking at a lot of scopes lately, and everyone's eyes are different.

I have some threads describing what I saw, but basically, optically, I did not see the big deal what so ever about NF NXS, yes built very well, but that was about it, even the clicks on the scopes I played with were mushy and not as definitive or loud as many other scopes I have played with. hensoldt or zeiss you will be getting some of the best optics, I think for anyone's eyes. I say that because Zeiss out of all the scopes I looked through was the only one that consistently was probably better and more distinguishable.

trijicon 5-20 is very nice, and bright, but the adjustment range is not very great.

others have said sightron was very good, I think they are good for the money, and I have not gotten a chance to look through an SIII, but did look through a SII big sky, and compared to a vx-3 for my eyes there was no comparison, the vx-3 was better in every regard. I hope the SIII is better though, as the 8-32 would work nicely for me.

it all depends what your budget is, nightforce will not be discounted, other scopes can be depending where you buy. I do not have any experience with S&B or March or USO or Premier or IOR for that matter, I hear good and bad about IOR, also warranty can be a pain with them having to go back to Europe for major problems.

I have read good things about the vortex razor, and looked through a viper, and for the price was extremely impressed.

Keep weight and size in mind as well. A rifle for elk hunting on foot 5+ miles a day might wear a different scope than one that will be on a 4 wheeler or in the truck. Also keep in mind that if you are looking for a certain finished weight, a lighter scope allows more weight in the actual rifle and a heavier scope means shaving weight from the rifle somewhere. If you will be going on horseback with different outfitters or friends over the years, you may want it to fit normal scabbards you run into.

I have 2 NF's and a March scope, all on competition rifles. The March warranty is only 5 years and limited to the original owner. NF warranty applies to every owner and you can purchase two NF scopes for just about the cost of one March.

Interesting. I think I have narrowed it down to a NF or a Zeiss. Now I need to figure out which power I want to chose. BTW, this will be more of a truck rifle. It will probably tip the scales at about 17 lbs.

Thanks for all the great info!!!

Zeiss will have easily better glass but less adjustment. Also transferrable lifetime warranty as does leupold and sightron. Also look at premier and s&b depending what you want to spend.

I am building a .300 RUM and am still debating on the scope. I am leaning towards a Nightforce, but some people are recommending a March. This is a complete custom build, what would you guys recommend?

Of the 2 that you mentioned I would take the NF, because it is time and field proven and is tank tough

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.