Which scope for a Sako .338 RUM?

Stk

I just bought a custom Sako TRG-S in .338 RUM and need to put a scope on it. Primary use will be long range deer/elk hunting. No shots further than 1000 yards, and more realistically most will be in the 300-700 yard range. There is the possibility I'll have shots within 100 yards. The rifle hasn't arrived yet but I'm guessing it'll weigh somewhere between 8-8.5 lbs without optics. The gentleman I'm buying from is also giving me a boatload of 225 gr and 300 gr accubonds and all the brass I need, so I'll probably use that. He said the 225 gr shot half-MOA to 1000 yards...he was getting about 3175 FPS with 91 gr of RL-22.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Burris Veracity in 4-20. I have a Nightforce SHV in 3.5-10 and a Vortex Razor LH in 3-15, but I want more power than the Nightforce gives me and (potentially) more travel than the Razor gives me. Should the Burris be a good fit for the rifle? I'm also considering a higher power SHV or Leupold VX-6, but both are a good bit more expensive than the Burris. Anything else I should be looking at?

I'm in the same boat. I got a great deal on a swarovski x5 5-25 that I'll be using on my 338 rum build. If it doesn't suit my needs correctly, I'll probably look into an atacr F1 in the 4-16 range or similar. I know I can shoot 100yds easily with 20x, but the swaro is so darn clear at the higher powers that I'm not losing resolution when cranked all the way up.

So, given the rifle and shooting possiblity, I'd look for a good 3-18 or similar. I like that range on my all around hunting rifles because 3x is plenty low for close range work, and 18x in good glass takes you past 1000yds easily

Ordered a Bushnell LRHSi in 4.5-18. Little more magnification on the low end than I would prefer, but it should be good for the longer shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.