Which scope for a 460 XVR?

pwrdbycotn

I recently purchased a 460 XVR for the purpose of whitetail deer hunting here in Missouri as they recently changed muzzleloader season to "alternative method" season. This now allows the use of centerfire pistol. I've looked around at pistol scopes but they don't really seem all that impressive. What I'm looking at now is a Nightforce 1-4x24. This gun will be shot from a bipod and it is the 12" model. What do you guys recommend as all the pistols I have are for personal protection and I've never used one to hunt. Thank you for your help.

A friend of mine has the same gun with the leupold vxIII 2.5 x8 x32. I've shot it and it works great. It looked clear and bright to me, but I've never tested it in low low light.

Trijicon, 3x9x40. Awesome, i have the amber post reticle. Congrats on the 460, whatd u pay?
$1330 shipped. It was on gunbroker from a store in Alabama, brand new. I called and asked what kind of deal I could get if I didn't go through gunbroker and this is what they came up with. Sorry I never got back to you. I meant to and kind of forgot about it actually.

Thanks for the ideas on the scopes. I was hoping I wasn't the only one thinking of putting a rifle scope on a pistol.

I haven't shot my 460 yet, but I just got theTrijicon and love it oy 308. I question if I should be putting scout scope on the 469? From what I'v
e seen on youtube, I don't think the eye relief will do on a normal scope? I think i would be better off with a 4x fixed scooe or an aimpoint. I don't want that hammer to take my eye out?! Opinions?

I haven't shot my 460 yet, but I just got theTrijicon and love it oy 308. I question if I should be putting scout scope on the 469? From what I'v
e seen on youtube, I don't think the eye relief will do on a normal scope? I think i would be better off with a 4x fixed scooe or an aimpoint. I don't want that hammer to take my eye out?! Opinions?

Shot my gun today for the first time. Fired 5 rounds. It's pretty amazing the wave of recoil that it sent up my arm. Mounted my atlas bipod to it when I got home and I'm anxious to see how that affects the recoil. I've gotta get a scope on it and start seeing what kind of groups I can get.

They are kickers that's why a handgun scope might serve you better. They have a lot more eye relief, plus you can still get pretty close to the reticle if you choose.

I'm not a handgun shooter (laws are quite restrictive here), but I've watched a bunch of videos of guys firing those .460's and they do recoil.

Remember that with a good rifle scope you get 4 or 4.5 inches of eye relief TOPS.
Anybody feel like holding your .460 four inches from your eye and touching one off? :rolleyes:

You thought scope bite on a RIFLE was bad...

That's the point I'm making. You either learn to shoot it with open sights and accept the distance limitation or scope it with a scout scope or dimpling. If you want more distance than a Thompson or specialty pistol is the way to go. O looked through a Leupold 4x scout scope and that seemed pretty good. Also dimpling had a hunter series red dot and I think the dot is 2moa in size. Blocking at these options.

I'm not a handgun shooter (laws are quite restrictive here), but I've watched a bunch of videos of guys firing those .460's and they do recoil.

Remember that with a good rifle scope you get 4 or 4.5 inches of eye relief TOPS.
Anybody feel like holding your .460 four inches from your eye and touching one off? :rolleyes:

You thought scope bite on a RIFLE was bad...

I've watched a bunch of videos, too. I haven't seen anybody hit with the gun in any of them. I finally decided I was going to quit watching videos and actually do it for myself and I found that while it does pack a good punch I don't think it will come any closer to hitting me than my 338 lapua ackley improved will. If it does I will take a picture of my eye and post it here but until then I'm going to go with a low magnification rifle scope. Thank you for your opinion.

what are you shooting out of it, factory or reloads. have same pistol use a 1.5x4 leapold on mine. also shoot a dan wesson 445 supermag. it is alot more fun.

Not sure why i wrote dimpling? I guess I was typing from my iphone and not proofreading. I meant Aimpoint red dot or Aimpoint Hunter series red dot. They have a 2 moa dot and huge eye relief like a scout scope. Let me know how you make out and take a video if you can?. I am curious to see how you hold it and what scope looks like it works the best for mine too.

Last edited:
what are you shooting out of it, factory or reloads. have same pistol use a 1.5x4 leapold on mine. also shoot a dan wesson 445 supermag. it is alot more fun.

Right now I'm just shooting factory loads. Waiting to see what accuracy is before I decide to buy dies, powder, etc. 200 gr hornady ftx.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.