Which Rounds Should I Use?

RugerHawg413

I am going to elk hunt later this year out west, and I going to use a 7mm Rem Mag. I currently use Federal Fusion 175 grain soft points because of the blood trail and I think they sometimes kill the animal much faster. But I am shooting at max 300 yards and at a 180 lb whitetail. Obviously, elk are much bigger and I may but doubt I will have to shoot father than 300 yards. So, should I use a faster and lighter ballistic tip or stick to soft points? And if I change to ballistic tips which ones should I use? Thanks for all the help and info! God Bless!

If what you got are shooting tiny groups and produce good blood trails I'd stay with them. Stay off direct bone hits and you should be fine. I'd think a 175 gr soft point out of a 7 mm would get decent penetration within 300 yards on most shot angles

Among the many Utah deer/elk hunters out here, who use factory ammo, Federal Fusion is super popular. The heavy bullets in caliber are popular as well. Have a ball Pard!

I'm a partition/a-frame guy but I don't see any reason why your current load wouldn't work great!

I am going to elk hunt later this year out west, and I going to use a 7mm Rem Mag. I currently use Federal Fusion 175 grain soft points because of the blood trail and I think they sometimes kill the animal much faster. But I am shooting at max 300 yards and at a 180 lb whitetail. Obviously, elk are much bigger and I may but doubt I will have to shoot father than 300 yards. So, should I use a faster and lighter ballistic tip or stick to soft points? And if I change to ballistic tips which ones should I use? Thanks for all the help and info! God Bless!

If what your using shoots well stick with it I might suggest practicing at longer ranges just in case Im not saying a 1000 but to 500 with that round you should be in great shape practice practice practice and not just off a bench but a bipod shooting prone also off of sticks

175gr loads in a 7 Rem Mag is great elk medicine. In particular a Nosler NP in that weight is a hammer on elk in my experience out to 450yds.

I live in Wyoming, and I know a couple people that use those same factory loads with great success. Sounds like it shoots good, don't change it. Literally the only reason I would change anything is if you were planning on taking shots at 500+ yards. Inside that, there isn't enough difference in drop, drift or energy from a high bc bullet of the same weight to make it worth changing.

I wouldn't go lighter though. If you have to take a hard quartering shot, you will be happy to have a big heavy bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.