Which rings.??

Ian, we both know you won't have any problem hitting that block of clay. Remember, its me who have asked your opinion on more than one occasion, and I am sure it will keep on going. You are one of the old pro's on this site, and sometimes you have to tell us newbies we are full of ****!! Just hope you don't mind arguing once in a while. Its good for the ol ticker!

Toes,
You are right, a little friendly disagreement never hurt anyone, anytime I can provide any advice just go right ahead and ask. By the way, I got lucky and hit the clay - and recovered some bullets that I need for the NRA article.

Shot a friends' new M-700 .300 Ultramag with "gulp" Redfield rings and bases
wink.gif
and my ***-kicking custom .338 Win M-70 with Nears and Badgers. Did a bunch of chronographing and decided to find out what the new Noslers and Hornadys do at magnum velocities at relatively close range so did not shoot long as planned. That will be tomorrow since now I need to know what the same bullets do out at 500 yards. Thank heavens for PAST recoil shields!

Texas - you will not regret buying Warnes, matter of fact they have a super strong ring that is designed specifically for the Sako dovetail - much nicer than the factory Sako rings in my opinion and very reasonably priced. Check out Brownells or maybe even order direct from Warne, not sure if they do that but expect their website will tell you. I switched my Sakos to the Warnes and they are very nice looking rings and have stood up to a bunch of magnum shooting.

Toes,
Couple of days ago we were shooting steel plates out at 1050 yards.

A friend had an out of the box M-700 VS in .308 Win./Nosler J4's. His rifle had Leupold "Redfield" style rings and a Leupold tactical.

I was shooting my buddy's custom M-700, 26" Mike Rock barrel, full action bedding in Marine Tex with pillars on a McMillan A-1, Nikon Tactical, Black Hills Match 175's - a tackdriving machine. Did I mention it had Near Manufacturing bases and Badger rings also...

He cleaned my clock - must have been those **** Leupold mounts
grin.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

I also had Redfield dovetail ring in Redfield base I made the mistake of replacing the rings once. I won't do it again. Next time the base and rings come off.I was not real happy with the setup using Leupold rings either. I use this on a Mauser 98 in Rem. 7mm mag. The only real good thing about them is you can adjust for windage and keep your scope windage clicks centered in the scope. But then how often do you need more than 25 ft of wind. I do have a set on my woods gun. I put these on before I realized there was a problem with my 7mm. and that was only because the holes were not drilled correctly. I ran out of windage adjustment at 100 yds. Again this was my mistake for letting the sporting goods store do the holes. I guess that is still a cheap lesson.

Doggone Ian, how do you sleep at night, being like that! LOL! Yea, want some of them Badger rings myself, but its gotto wait. Need some Redding Comp. dies a little more. It's an expensive hobbie, but, doggone its fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.