Which rifle to take to Saskatchewan?

devins

I am leaving by way of Dallas to go to Saskatchewan for big whitetail in one week. My question is, do I take the old Mark V in 270 Win with the Zeis 3-9X50 or the 260 Rem AI that I worked up the hunting loads for with the Hornady 140 gr SST's. The 260 out performs the 270 and I have a 4-16X50 Viper PST on it. The variables are the Mark V is much lighter to get to the stand and to hold in the stand, but I would not feel comfortable shooting it past 350 yards with only a duplex scope. The 260 has been verified and shot our to 794 yards. The outfitter delivers us to the stands in the morning and picks us up in the evenings. We are to have rests if we are in blinds or a bar around a ladder stand if we are in those and I use a shooting stick for more stability then too. One last variable is low light visibility. I believe it would be a little better with the Zeis. And I also do not know that I would ever have any kind of a long shot available. Anyone hunt in the transitional terrain up there and have any recommendations?

Maybe you could mount the Zeiss on the 260....Those "golden hours" of low light usually produce the most whitetails......
Just a thought,
Randy

I've hunted the "fringe" area in Northern Saskatchewan for many years, particulary north of Candle Lake and in the Falling Horse area. I was fortunate to have killed many big Whitetail over the years.
Both of the rifles you mentioned will be adequate for the type of hunting you will do. It's primarily stand hunting with shots under 250 yards or so. Some of the stands will only afford 100 yards or less...

In the days I was hunting up there, my caliber of choice was the Rem 7 mag, and I used 175 gr Trophy Bonded bullets. One of the bucks I killed with that combination was well over 340 lbs, and he didn't stand a chance to a well placed shot..

My biggest suggestion to you is to put the best glass you can on the rifle you choose to take, and make sure that rifle is free of any excessive lubricant.

Here's a few from my earlier days...

Attachments

• sask1.JPG
    sask1.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 231
  • sask2.jpg
    sask2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 196
  • sask3.JPG
    sask3.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 172
Take a bayonet for that .260AI in case they lose your ammo or it's held up in customs for whatever reason. You won't find any of it there on any shelves or any anywhere else for that matter. I take the .270 with ammo available if the worst happens and it's one of the greatest North American hunting rounds ever tied with or narrowly behind a 30-06. It will get the job done.

Changing optics a week before the hunt is also setting you up for failure. With the money I am sure you have tied to this opportunity go with the Mk V that's wearing the Zeiss already. Also Joel says the shots are well within the range of 350 yards.

If you put that Zeiss on a 794 yard gun you've just got another 350 yard gun no way around that.

Good luck with your hunt!

Re: Which to Saskatchewan?

I'm a fan of both calibers, but being an old guy, I trust the .270. You got some real good pieces of advice about being sure the rifle is only very lightly lubricated, particularly inside the bolt. I've seen Weatherby's with the bolts full of heavy grease. One locked up the firing pin at -18 deg F. I also like the advice about whichever scope is the best in low light / poor visibility. I would be hesitant to change the scopes at this late date, so the scope would also be a tie-breaker for me. The .270 Win ammo would be available if your ammo doesn't make it, but I don't know what to tell you about assuring that Canadian Customs will pass your rifle. It should be routine, but......

One more thing. Try to have a zero as near as possible to the temperatures the rifle and ammo will be subjected to on the hunt. It should be warmer inside a stand, so it may not matter at 100 yds, but at longer range, a warm weather zero could cause a low hit, or even a miss.

Now, having said that I like both the calibers you mentioned, I have to add that my choice would be a larger cartridge. My go-to rifle is a .30 x .378 with 200gr Accubonds. I'm not a great shot, and I suck at doping wind, so I compensate by using big fast bullets. Years ago, Connie Brooks at Barnes told me I was the only person who had ever asked if they would make some 400 -500gr .458 cal boattail X bullets.

Good luck and good hunting! Tom

I had thought about the ammo for the 260 also. That is why I initially was planning to use the 270. I have hunted a lot down around 0 F but never had a freeze up but I will certainly make sure not to over lube on whichever I take. I have 7mm Rem Mag that is .25 MOA Shooter and a 308 Norma mag that has a lot of experience in Africa and is well scoped but it is the same problem with the ammo on the 308 Norma and the glass is not as bright on the 7mm.

The 270 has dropped a lot of animals in its tracks with the 140 gr Accu bonds and I don't know if I can shoot a black cat in a dark cave with it but it brings in the light very well. And with the bright optics and the .270 being very popular ammo I may be back to carrying the 270. Especially if nothing over 250 yards. At the warmer zero 250 yards is still point blank zero on a deer.

Thanks to all of you all for the imput. Its good to have choices but it is better to have guys share experiences to help you feel good about your choices.

No matter which rifle you decide on, sounds like you'll be prepared.

I get a lot of pleasure from hearing about hunting trips, and would like to know how yours went when you get back. I also appreciated Joel's advice, but the pictures were the highlight for me. I don't know how he finds the time.....

Speaking of advice, I'll bet we have a mutual friend in Weatherford. Never met him, but intend to. "Shortgrass" on this forum. I have never got anything but solid advice from him. Don't know how he makes the time either.

Good thread! Tom

Tom, Yes Joel's pics were awesome and I hope to have some to show and I will try to share them when I get back. The advice on this site is always very helpful. Thank you too Joel for the idea of shot length.

And I would like to know who Shortgrass is. With the dry year we have had I certainly know what it is:rolleyes:. And He may be one of the great guys around here that I bug all the time with my questions and have a great time with visiting locally. If not I would love to meet them too. There are several very proficient and knowledgable shooters around here that I know of and would certainly like to meet, I just have not had the honor yet.

But thanks again to everyone for the advice and I hope to do you all proud and post some good pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts