Which Rifle to put Silencer on ?

l recently picked up a Winchester Model 70 Varmint in 22-250 threaded for a can. Threaded app 5/8'' @ .5''x28. l was shocked anyone would thread such a rare rifle. This 22-250 is a twin to my 222Rem that fell out the sky a couple months back... Beautiful walnut stocks with white outline spacers cradle both these actions.. l'm not going to be critical of its previous owner either... The decision is leave the muzzle 'AS-IS' or re-crown the barrel? l'm looking for a barrel nut/thread protector to protect the threads til l decide

Last edited:
I have a Dead Air Sandman-L I use on an AR-15, AR-10, and a Ruger Precision 300 PRC. Just get a brake with correct threads for any gun you want it on. I even have an extra end cap so can swap for a 5.56 or .30.

l recently picked up a Winchester Model 70 Varmint in 22-250 threaded for a can. Threaded app 5/8'' @ .5''x28. l was shocked anyone would thread such a rare rifle. This 22-250 is a twin to my 222Rem that fell out the sky a couple months back... Beautiful walnut stocks with white outline spacers cradle both these actions.. l'm not going to be critical of its previous owner either... The decision is leave the muzzle 'AS-IS' or re-crown the barrel? l'm looking for a barrel nut/thread protector to protect the threads til l decide

Once you get used to shooting suppressed, and particularly shooting varmints, it is hard not to thread every rifle you have.

However, if you don't want to suppress it I would get it re-crowned. I have been having fits with various thread -protectors, as the threads sticking out past the crown catch carbon, build up and mess up accuracy. I'm shooting 32-gr bullets, so you may not have a problem with 22-250 bullets, who knows, but you might do accuracy test with and without to see. Mine make a significant difference with the light bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts