which rifle to buy first? 1k-3k?

460or338

I plan on buying a 338 win mag A bolt 26" stainless with boss and A 460 weatherby .Now i do plan on getting these rifle about 4 months apart .I will geting maybe 2-3k in june and want to drop it into a "nice rifle" my first set up would

.Be the A-bolt with Leupold Competition Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 45x 45mm 1/8 MOA Target Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

scope or Zeiss MC Conquest Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Side Focus Target Turrets Rapid Z 1000 Reticle Silver - MidwayUSA

since it's stainless to match the A-bolt.

Now for the 460 i was looking a Mueller Hybrid 3-9×40mm Long Eye Relief • Mueller Optics

Now i know people are going to ask what purpose for each one,hunting or shooting am i plan on doing .Well the .338 win mag is going to be my primary hunting rifle deer,hog,coyote(lol) and maybe a bear hunt in 2011.

The 460 is going to be for enjoyment because i like big recoil and it's loud as hell with the accu-brake .I like the mark v's and no one in 100 miles have one so it would be kinda special for me to have one .gun).

I would definitely take the Zeiss over the Leupy for the variable power. A straight 45x is going to make it really difficult if you have a shot up close and personal. Now if you are going to be set up somewhere that you are going to have really far shots all the time, then the high fixed power is probably a good option.

I like your rifle choices though.

Tank.

The 460 is going to be for enjoyment because i like big recoil and it's loud as hell with the accu-brake .I like the mark v's and no one in 100 miles have one so it would be kinda special for me to have one .gun).

If you like big recoil then take the muzzle brake off! :D

-X3M

For the money your spending, I would just buy one of the 338 super mags, custom. Allen, Edge, Lapua, RUM, 338-378:D:D Look at the for sale section great guns on there.

I plan on buying a 338 win mag A bolt 26" stainless with boss and A 460 weatherby .Now i do plan on getting these rifle about 4 months apart .I will geting maybe 2-3k in june and want to drop it into a "nice rifle" my first set up would

.Be the A-bolt with Leupold Competition Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 45x 45mm 1/8 MOA Target Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

scope or Zeiss MC Conquest Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Side Focus Target Turrets Rapid Z 1000 Reticle Silver - MidwayUSA

since it's stainless to match the A-bolt.

Now for the 460 i was looking a Mueller Hybrid 3-9×40mm Long Eye Relief*•*Mueller Optics

Now i know people are going to ask what purpose for each one,hunting or shooting am i plan on doing .Well the .338 win mag is going to be my primary hunting rifle deer,hog,coyote(lol) and maybe a bear hunt in 2011.

For the 338 Win Mag I would look at a variable arround 4 to 6x on the lower end and 14 to 20x
on the upper end. Also have you looked at the Leupold Mark 4 ?

You can have to much power and eye position becomes critical when shooting. The 30mm tube
keeps the scope shorter and stronger.

For the 460 Weatherby I would recomend one of the safari types of scopes around 1.5x 7 for
max eye relief and wide field of view also they are designed to focus very close (4 or 5 feet).

I have a Burris safari on my unbraked 416 and it works great and has an extra inch of eye
relief for safety.

I like all big bores and extra eye relief is a must !

J E CUSTOM

I had thought about a custom rifle but after i held a 300 win-mag stainless A-bolt stalker i fell in love with it .Any way i plan on buying couple 100's round for the 338 when i buy it .The 460 i would have to wait a while yo buy volume ammo for it lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.