Which rifle route for long range?

Elkbigfoot

So I'm sure this question has been asked more times than one can count.

So I want to use your guys knowledge versus my very little. I'm wanting to get a rifle for long range hunting (elk/deer) and also be good for target shooting. With that being said I don't need it to be the lightest gun on Earth. I want something accurate perferably sub 1/2moa. I'm considering 300 prc and 28 nosler but considering others. My main question is which route should I go bergara hmr pro, Remington 5r, savage w/ proof barrel, barreled action and build my own or rebarrel a Tikka, etc. What would you do to get a very accurate rifle without buying a $5000 custom.

I certainly wouldnt get a 28 Nosler to sit down at the bench and practice alot unless you plan on screwing barrels on every 6-800 rounds.
I'm a 30-28 or 30 Nosler fan if you want the 215 class bullets at 3100fps especially now that ADG is making brass, if your a handloader and build with the proper freebore.
Theres gonna be alot of opinions and theres mine.
If you want a 7mm caliber and shoot alot with it then 280AI now that Petersons making brass or the tried and true 7 mag and ADG brass.

I certainly wouldnt get a 28 Nosler to sit down at the bench and practice alot unless you plan on screwing barrels on every 6-800 rounds.
I'm a 30-28 or 30 Nosler fan if you want the 215 class bullets at 3100fps especially now that ADG is making brass, if your a handloader and build with the proper freebore.
Theres gonna be alot of opinions and theres mine.
If you want a 7mm caliber and shoot alot with it then 280AI now that Petersons making brass or the tried and true 7 mag and ADG brass.
Very good information. Appreciate you taking the time for the response. How does barrel life on the 280AI hold up also the 300prc?

Go with what you like since in the end that is probably what you will choose. On the other hand, 28 Nosler is known to eat barrels.
I don't have my mind made up on any rifle. I know there is no best rifle but if I can get a proof barrel or such with a chassis of my choosing and group better than a bergara for around the same price I would much rather do that. Thanks!

I don't have my mind made up on any rifle. I know there is no best rifle but if I can get a proof barrel or such with a chassis of my choosing and group better than a bergara for around the same price I would much rather do that. Thanks!
No disrespect sir, but this is one of the most asked questions that arises on this forum. You will literally receive just about every caliber/cartridge recommendation, which is why I responded the way I did to your post.

Now my opinion. If it is going to be primarily for medium size game and target shooting then go with something that is easy on the shoulder and wallet. Forget about "I MAY use it on elk" since the majority of folks never get to that point.

No disrespect sir, but this is one of the most asked questions that arises on this forum. You will literally receive just about every caliber/cartridge recommendation, which is why I responded the way I did to your post.

Now my opinion. If it is going to be primarily for medium size game and target shooting then go with something that is easy on the shoulder and wallet. Forget about "I MAY use it on elk" since the majority of folks never get to that point.
I completely agree with this being asked a million times and there being no right answer. Im looking for mainly an elk rifle with it sometimes being used for long range deer. Killed a couple elk in the last few years. If there is a lighter recoiling caliber that still will punch down an elk at 800+ yards I'm all game for it.

Edit: also nice bull in your profile pic!

Last edited:
I completely agree with this being asked a million times and there being no right answer. Im looking for mainly an elk rifle with it sometimes being used for long range deer. Killed a couple elk in the last few years. If there is a lighter recoiling rifle that still will punch down an elk at 800+ yards I'm all game for it.
With that said, I'd go with a Remington 5r in .300 win mag. Take it to a smith, have him accurize it, and put a break on it since the barrel is already threaded. A buddy of mine did exactly this, and that gun is sub moa all day.

I completely agree with this being asked a million times and there being no right answer. Im looking for mainly an elk rifle with it sometimes being used for long range deer. Killed a couple elk in the last few years. If there is a lighter recoiling caliber that still will punch down an elk at 800+ yards I'm all game for it.

Edit: also nice bull in your profile pic!
Got it. Pick anything in the 30 cal range. I would go with a 300WM since the ammo is easy to find if you don't reload. Remington 5R or LRH in Savage model Are a couple of good choices that I have found.

Factory rifles, factory loads? Good luck. Buy a used rifle w/ the right bolt face and receiver/ mag size and hopefully a good stock, Find a good Smith, order a premium barrel in a #4 contour and a good twist, buy a trigger. Have him build it for you. I like ATACRs for scopes but that's a whole nuther thread. Under $5000 easily. Now you have to start reloading or have someone do custom loads for you. Mo money. All cartridges can be made fast and accurate. But it comes with a price.

Very good information. Appreciate you taking the time for the response. How does barrel life on the 280AI hold up also the 300prc?
Theres alot of factors that contribute to barrel life my guess would be 1200 on both.

Got it. Pick anything in the 30 cal range. I would go with a 300WM since the ammo is easy to find if you don't reload. Remington 5R or LRH in Savage model Are a couple of good choices that I have found.

Agree 100%! 300 PRC may also be a good choice (its yours to make after all), but Rick made the case for the 300WM. PRC only adds approx 100 fps. No experience with the Remington 5R, but every Savage I've shot has been accurate straight out of the box.

So I'm sure this question has been asked more times than one can count.

So I want to use your guys knowledge versus my very little. I'm wanting to get a rifle for long range hunting (elk/deer) and also be good for target shooting. With that being said I don't need it to be the lightest gun on Earth. I want something accurate perferably sub 1/2moa. I'm considering 300 prc and 28 nosler but considering others. My main question is which route should I go bergara hmr pro, Remington 5r, savage w/ proof barrel, barreled action and build my own or rebarrel a Tikka, etc. What would you do to get a very accurate rifle without buying a $5000 custom.
I think you named some very good factory rifles. My personal favorite caliber is 7mm with 6.5 mm after that. If you are going to run factory ammo, and you are going to hunt and do a bit of repetitive target shooting. I think a 6.5 prc would be nice. Savage has some to offer in 6.5 prc. I would also consider a 7mm Remington magnum. You may have to try several varieties of ammo in the 7mm rem mag to find what it likes but that is not a strike against the cartridge itself but rather an abundance of ammunition options that are not ideally loaded for accuracy. I would go for a heavier barrel in the 7mm rem. 6.5 PRC would be a quick easy option and I would tend to stay away from a factory Sporter weight pencil barrel with it. 7mm rem mag is my around favorite But as I said, 6.5 prc would be quicker & easier for someone starting out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.