Which rifle in 300 Win Mag?

remingtonman_25_06

My dad is in the market for a new 300 Win Mag.

Primary use is an all around hunting rifle from deer/elk/black bear out to 800 yards. Bullet will either be the 180g or 200g AB.

He has been looking around and has been eyeballing the Weatherby vanguard Sub MOA, and the TC Icon, as well as the Browning X-bolt. He was wanting a sendero, but has since decided against going with a heavy barreled rifle since hes not getting any younger and the canyons aren't getting any smaller.

The problems with all his choices that I see is that if he ever wants to build off them, none of the above are very good choices. Just not a lot of aftermarket parts or goodies.

I recomend he try to find a rem 700 LSS in 300 win mag. Good solid rifles, and if you ever wanna build off them, possibilities are endless. He kinda wants to try something different then Remington.

He doesn't want a tikka as he already has lite one in a 7 RM. They are a little to light for LR shooting. He dont like Savage either.

The TC Icon looks to be a good rifle. Just haven't seen or read to much about them. There suppose to have 5r rifling and guaruntee 1 MOA from what he says. I"m not much for guaruntees on a rifle, but to some people you just cant tell em any different, thats why he was also looking at the wby vangaurd SUB MOA. Guaruntee aint worth a crap unless your a good shot, with good ammo, good rest, etc...

What factory rifle would you guys pick these days and why??

My dad is in the market for a new 300 Win Mag.

Primary use is an all around hunting rifle from deer/elk/black bear out to 800 yards. Bullet will either be the 180g or 200g AB.

He has been looking around and has been eyeballing the Weatherby vanguard Sub MOA, and the TC Icon, as well as the Browning X-bolt. He was wanting a sendero, but has since decided against going with a heavy barreled rifle since hes not getting any younger and the canyons aren't getting any smaller.

The problems with all his choices that I see is that if he ever wants to build off them, none of the above are very good choices. Just not a lot of aftermarket parts or goodies.

I recomend he try to find a rem 700 LSS in 300 win mag. Good solid rifles, and if you ever wanna build off them, possibilities are endless. He kinda wants to try something different then Remington.

He doesn't want a tikka as he already has lite one in a 7 RM. They are a little to light for LR shooting. He dont like Savage either.

The TC Icon looks to be a good rifle. Just haven't seen or read to much about them. There suppose to have 5r rifling and guaruntee 1 MOA from what he says. I"m not much for guaruntees on a rifle, but to some people you just cant tell em any different, thats why he was also looking at the wby vangaurd SUB MOA. Guaruntee aint worth a crap unless your a good shot, with good ammo, good rest, etc...

What factory rifle would you guys pick these days and why??

My first choice would be the sendero But if he doesnt want one then I would go with the
Weatherby Vanguard sub MOA "With a break" so it will not kick as bad.

The Vanguard is the same as the Howa if he wants to replace some of the parts and the cost
is not bad also the accuracy is normally good.

J E CUSTOM

I would go with the sendero as well, but I'm 20 years younger then him, lol. You just cant beat a sendero for an out of the box rifle that needs nothing more then a trigger job and reloads to get you out to 1K relatively easy with very good success.

He was really set on it untill i asked him if he really wanted to pack that sendero in the canyons, and he said not really.

I am a little worried about him going with the vanguard. I had just the standard vangaurd in 300 BEE not more then a year ago. The thing would shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with 180g nbt's and 200g ab's. However, at 400 yards, those same loads would do at best 6-8" for 3 shots off a bench. I just dont know what to gather from that. They should have been doing at least 1 MOA or 3-4" groups. I"ve just never personally witnessed that from a remington or winchester. Usually when there loads shoot 1/2" at 100 yards, they dont open up to 2 MOA at 400 yards, they usually stay pretty solid and keep MOA out to 800 yards or so. I never did figure out the problem as I sold the rifle. I have no use for a rifle that groups that bad at that range.

If anybody's got any feedback on the TC Icon's or Browning X Bolts, that would be great to!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.