Which rifle for a sheep hunt?

LiteHiker: have you been on that sheep hunt? How did it go, and was the 6.5 CR what you hoped it would be?
I'm going for Dall sheep in the Yukon in Aug 2021, and shopping for the right rifle now.

Tulsa, Nope, I'm still trying for a Nevada sheep tag. May just go for a guided hunt somewhere in the Rockies B/C I know I'll have a tag that way.

Eric B.
The guided hunts are really expensive, but I'm up there in the years, and need to get this item off my bucket list. It's been on my list for 30+ years, and my wife told me to "JUST DO IT."

Yes, sounds like you have the green light. I've only hunted sheep once and that was in Alaska, Dall sheep. Luckily I was successful and made a long shot with a stock Remington XCRII in 300 win mag, with a 3-9 Leupold scope. Had to use a litlle holdover and into the wind, but dropped him with one shot. Of course now I am trying to determine which 300 win mag to put a Nightforce on, ha. Probably should just stick with the Remington set up.

mnhunter2:
Do you mean 8.5 lbs, fully rigged up? I researched and researched all the best precison rifle makers (15 of them), for 6.5 PRC rifles with 20-24" barrels last Fall, in order to decide on a rifle for my 2021 Yukon sheep hunt. It is hard to equip one with a good LR scope at less than 8.0 lbs, even when the rifle if CF barrel and stock and Titanium action.

Tulsa look at Rifles Inc or New Ultra Light Arms. Both accurate rifles and super light. My NULA .284 with Talley light weights and a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44 comes it at 7 lbs with 3 rounds in the mag. Test target was .5 moa with a 150 grain factory load. I'm getting .75 moa with 160 grain accubond handloadz. Load development not yet completed.

mnhunter2:
Do you mean 8.5 lbs, fully rigged up? I researched and researched all the best precison rifle makers (15 of them), for 6.5 PRC rifles with 20-24" barrels last Fall, in order to decide on a rifle for my 2021 Yukon sheep hunt. It is hard to equip one with a good LR scope at less than 8.0 lbs, even when the rifle if CF barrel and stock and Titanium action.

Who are you going hunting with? You should be fine with a 8 lb rig. If you need to cut more weight, hit the treadmill longer or buy a lighter sleeping bag or pack or dont eat for a couple days lol. I wouldnt compromise shootability for a lb or 2. Are you going to combo your hunt with anything else?

My stepson and I are hunting with Chris Widrig on the Bonnet Plume river. I'm going for sheep only as I already have 3 bull caribou and a brown bear. My stepson is going for sheep and caribou. And believe me, I am hitting the treadmill, with my hunting boots on. I also am anxious to get my Gunwerks rifle in 6.5 PRC, and start practicing with it. I ordered 200 rounds of their ammo (which they shoot to prove 0.5" accuracy), and extra brass (ADG) so I can reload more cartridges. But I NEED Retumbo, which is what they use. (They shared the formula with me.)

My stepson and I are hunting with Chris Widrig on the Bonnet Plume river. I'm going for sheep only as I already have 3 bull caribou and a brown bear. My stepson is going for sheep and caribou. And believe me, I am hitting the treadmill, with my hunting boots on. I also am anxious to get my Gunwerks rifle in 6.5 PRC, and start practicing with it. I ordered 200 rounds of their ammo (which they shoot to prove 0.5" accuracy), and extra brass (ADG) so I can reload more cartridges. But I NEED Retumbo, which is what they use. (They shared the formula with me.)
You will have a blast
When I got my Gunwerks the load data was for their factory ammo
I got better results doing my own load work
Guys are having lots of luck with the n565 with the 6.5prc
For my 6.5x284 I have a great load with retumbo and 140's but an even better one with 156gr bergers and h1000
That's what I used for my desert

GASheephunter is exactly right... if you are hunting in Grizzley country a 300 Mag is a good choice. If not, a flat shooting medium bore rifle will work. Sheep are not hard to kill... you just may need to make a shot at a longer distance. The comment on not worrying about the rifle weight and makeing sure your other gear is leightweight makes a lot of sense. Good luck on your hunt!

P.S. Do you know what the sheep guide said about optics? He said, they don't weigh nothing and they cost nothing... because without them, do you don't get nothing! <wink>

Tulsa look at Rifles Inc or New Ultra Light Arms. Both accurate rifles and super light. My NULA .284 with Talley light weights and a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44 comes it at 7 lbs with 3 rounds in the mag. Test target was .5 moa with a 150 grain factory load. I'm getting .75 moa with 160 grain accubond handloadz. Load development not yet completed.

CoBrad does your 284 hold 3 or 4 down? I have one of Melvins early ULA's in 270 with a #2 on it. Killing machine, light enough to tote anywhere and yet enough weight out front so one can kill on demand for quite a ways...