Which rifle/caliber for elk

Your 270 is really not the best choice for Elk. I really would suggest that you consider getting a Magnum caliber, one of the short Magnum calibers work well. I am seriously opposed to a wounded animal and if you are not loading the 270 with a premium bullet it is my feeling that it is not sufficient. The Elk has a thick skin and heavy bones, select only partitioned bullets, bonded core bullets or solids like the Barnes or the Nosler E-Tip. I have seen the cheaper bullets come apart and leave an animal wounded and suffering. Please remember that you will be shooting at an animal that will be 500 lbs or larger.
Been there ,done that. I prefer the Barnes over the Nosler e-Tips. I have not tried hornady GMx yet.

gun) The 270 winchester with Barnes 130 grain tsx or ttsx bullets gets the job done. California you have to use copper bullets.
Two BIG thumbs down on this idea

Your 270 is really not the best choice for Elk. I really would suggest that you consider getting a Magnum caliber, one of the short Magnum calibers work well. I am seriously opposed to a wounded animal and if you are not loading the 270 with a premium bullet it is my feeling that it is not sufficient. The Elk has a thick skin and heavy bones, select only partitioned bullets, bonded core bullets or solids like the Barnes or the Nosler E-Tip. I have seen the cheaper bullets come apart and leave an animal wounded and suffering. Please remember that you will be shooting at an animal that will be 500 lbs or larger.

Couldn't agree more. There is a reason the guys on here who kill elk and guide elk hunts regularly like the 300wm w/ 215gr bullets. Basically the heavier the better.

Op if the 270 is your biggest rig by all means shoot 150gr+ pills. Then check your down range energy and determine your equipment's capability based on energy. Personally I like to see 1300ft/lbs minimum. The heavier bullets extend your killing range, but of course only take shots you are comfortable w/ given the conditions. Big magnums are not needed to harvest elk, the 270 is perfectly adequate for elk... but not elk at 1000yds. Everything is relevant, so choose your shot wisely and good luck!

I would say over all the years of elk being harvested the 270 would be in the top 3 calibers. Some will disagree but when you look at the record books you see the old timers using the 270 to shoot trophy elk. Like said previously a partition bullet is the way to go with the 270 on elk. If you have the money to spend then buy a bigger gun. If not find the best bullet and practice out to 300 yards.

Couldn't agree more. There is a reason the guys on here who kill elk and guide elk hunts regularly like the 300wm w/ 215gr bullets. Basically the heavier the better.

Op if the 270 is your biggest rig by all means shoot 150gr+ pills. Then check your down range energy and determine your equipment's capability based on energy. Personally I like to see 1300ft/lbs minimum. The heavier bullets extend your killing range, but of course only take shots you are comfortable w/ given the conditions. Big magnums are not needed to harvest elk, the 270 is perfectly adequate for elk... but not elk at 1000yds. Everything is relevant, so choose your shot wisely and good luck!
I prefer the 7 rem mag with barnes bullets. But I used with good results the 270 win with 130 grain TSX bullets . I not happy with Nosler E-Tip bullet. In whatever caliber you use . GOOD LUCK.gun)

I would say over all the years of elk being harvested the 270 would be in the top 3 calibers. Some will disagree but when you look at the record books you see the old timers using the 270 to shoot trophy elk. Like said previously a partition bullet is the way to go with the 270 on elk. If you have the money to spend then buy a bigger gun. If not find the best bullet and practice out to 300 yards.
People killed them with pointy sticks for 40,000 years or more before firearms were invented and many people still do every year during bow season.

That doesn't mean there aren't "better options".

The truth however is if you can get 6" of penetration you can kill 99% of the game on the planet IF you put it in the right spot.

Above and beyond all else shot placement and a quality bullet are the most important factors in killing an Elk or anything else.

I have a good friend that killed his first 8-10 bulls with a 25-06 because it's all he had. It's certainly not ideal . . . he now shoots a 300 RUM and Berger 210's. Bang . . . Flop.

I'd also vote for the .270, provided that it's a shooter. If you can't trust its accuracy, it's a spear.

I shot a 30-06 for years when I was living on the East coast and it killed everything in my path. When I moved out West, it was inadequate as it would shoot 3"-4" groups at best with hand loads.

back to the point, the advice given previously is good.

"it was inadequate as it would shoot 3"-4" groups at best with hand loads."

All I can say to that is that rifle needed some work done on it!!:D

270 most definitely will kill elk but as mentioned there are better options, also this is a long range forum and I certainly do not consider the 270 a long range elk caliber. Especially w/ factory loads being as the majority are 140gr. Know your effective range and shoot'm up but don't go mistaking your 270 for a 338.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 71

.270 Win has plenty of downrange energy and wounding ability with the right load. Double Tap 150 gr partitions at 2950 fps are great out to 600 yds. Matrix 165 VLD are even better. Matrix VLD ballistic card is below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts