Which replacement barrel for (long range) hunting ?

I am sailing and I know that it is quite easy to read the wind at sea.
At sea the wind is quite consistent. And I have a Kestrel wind meter.
But in the nature the orography is so different that it is sometimes
impossible to estimate the wind 200 yards away.

I think my biggest problem will be to stabilize lead free bullets.
I made some calculations with cutting edge bullets. Some of them
are 1.5 inch long and they need a twist rate of 1 : 7" to stabilize.

What do you think about 1 : 7" ?

And the barrel length: 24 inch or 26 inch ?
Some people say 26 inch is not so precise as 24 inch,
more vibrations. I am not sure if I should believe this.

The diameter will be 0,75 inch. They call it "semi-weight".
I hunt and shoot in mountain terrain so I understand your point about wind. It's not as hard as you think. I've killed a pile of wolves and yotes from 500-1300 yards and yes I've certainly missed a few due to bad wind calls.

I don't have an issue with 7 twist. Most of my 6.5's are 8, 1 is a 7.5. Most of 6's are 7. The only issue I've heard of with a 7 twist in a 6.5 is potential bullet jacket separation of you run a lead copper combo. If running solids a 7 is the way I'd go for sure.

24-26 is a good range with .75 muzzle. I have run 28.5" with similar profile and had no issue. For handling the shorter barrel is nice. I run 18-22" on most now with a suppressor so I'm still overall on the longer side.

I think you're overthinking it all...if you can't hit the target with a .308 due to wind then you're not going to hit the target with anything else either...shoot more, think less.

24-26 is a good range with .75 muzzle. I have run 28.5" with similar profile and had no issue. For handling the shorter barrel is nice. I run 18-22" on most now with a suppressor so I'm still overall on the longer side.
Juergen didn't you say your min cal had to be 6.5 if so that narrows it down to 270 or 6.5 something as far as all copper bullets that perform like bergers the hammer bullets are going to be the closest to that kind of performance fragmentation and penetration check those out I personally would bite the bullet and do a 6.5 x284 with a 1.7.5 to 8 twist preferably 1.7.5 your action appears long enough to use the longer all copper bullets remember all copper bullets have a higher weight retention so you can step down in weight and gain vel allowing some sacrifice in BC

@Hard rock : Yes, for legal reasons my min cal is 6.5 because below 6.5 no boars are allowed.

I am thinking about buying a 700 mm = 27.5 inch barrel. I think I need less than 8" twist, for example 7.5".

The question is: bigger caliber and more power to achieve more velocity or longer barrel. I tend to a longer barrel because I have less recoil.

Perhaps that would be fine for me:

6.5 Creedmoor
27.5 inch = 700 mm barrel
.75 inch = 19 mm barrel diameter
1 : 7.5" twist rate

Do you think there is a measurable loss of accuracy between
a 24" barrel and a 27.5" barrel ?

I would like to have a accuracy of about 0.25 - 0.3 MOA at 300 yards.

Do you think that is realistic ?

For target I'd definitley do the 27.5". My prs comp rifles are 26 and 28. I prefer the 28. I run a 140 in a creed at 2800 26" and it's really nice to shoot.

For target I'd definitley do the 27.5". My prs comp rifles are 26 and 28. I prefer the 28. I run a 140 in a creed at 2800 26" and it's really nice to shoot.
I think 26 in would be fine I have a 26 in proof 6.5 prc 1-8 and a 25 in 6 .5 prc bartlein 7.5 twist running 124 gr hammers at 3300 plus hope to get 3400 out of the 123 gr absolute hammers with that long action you have the 6.5 284 1.7.5 twist with a 26 in barrel in my opinion would be great

Welcome to the forum! Based on all the parameters you have listed and where you are located (Lapua brass should be easy to come by), I would go 6.5x47 or 7mm-08. I am a huge fan of the 6.5x284 Norma but like you I prefer a faster twist than 1/9. Blessings

Last edited:
I only skimmed past all the previous posts. My thinking would be a similar shaped round like the .308W that would be suitable for the action/magazine length, same size bolt face, availability of a wide variety of bullets having desirable ballistic and terminal ballistic qualities. This would focus on .260 Rem, 6.5X47, 6.5CM, 7mm-08, .243, 6mmCM, 6mmX47, 6mmGAP. Should the targets be larger beasts like mooses the 6mm's might be discarded. If deers would be the largest game with smaller animals like feral goats & such I would prefer the 6mm's. I am sort of biased towards 6mm's. In any selection for the 6.5's & 6mm's nothing slower than 8 twist. For the 7mm-08 nothing slower than 9 twist. I think any differences between any of the 6.5's and 7mm-08 would not be important. Should you not need to carry the rifle much a 26 inch (66 cm) long barrel measuring about .7 in (1.8 cm) at the muzzle would work.

Wishing you well in Germania.

Last edited:
Depends on what your local gunshop carries as far as ammo, either the 6.5x65 or 270 Win. Both are lethal to 600 yards and if you hand load both will do more. Even if you handload it's always better just in case.

Thanks to all of you for your help !

The barrel I am talking about will not be the last one.

So I am thinking about buying a 6.5 x 47 Lapua or 6.5 Creedmore (27.5 inch) and enjoy the small recoil.

Later if I need more power or bigger bullets I can think about
6.5 PRC, .270 Win., .270 WSM or .270 AI.

The delivery time will be about 6 month. I will tell you when I have the barrel.

Thanks to all of you !

Jürgen

Thanks to all of you for your help !

The barrel I am talking about will not be the last one.

So I am thinking about buying a 6.5 x 47 Lapua or 6.5 Creedmore (27.5 inch) and enjoy the small recoil.

Later if I need more power or bigger bullets I can think about
6.5 PRC, .270 Win., .270 WSM or .270 AI.

The delivery time will be about 6 month. I will tell you when I have the barrel.

Thanks to all of you !

Jürgen
Good luck. I have the 6.5 Prc and 6.5 creed. Also have a 6 creed in a long range pistol. Love the cartridges. The prc is my favorite for hunting by far. I have a 18" barrel for it to break in soon and expect 3000 FPS out of a 135 a tip.

My choice would be the 7mm-08 with a 162gr eldm bullet. The muzzle velocities you can expect to be around 2700-2800 roughly equal to those of the 6.5 Creedmoor. However the 7-08 has a better BC and a bigger bullet. It will drop less and have less wind deflection than anything on the list other than the 6.5x55 and the 6.5-284. Recoil should be less than the 308 but not by much.

Welcome Jürgen to the LRH forum.
You made a brilliant choice in rifles with your Rössler Titan 6 Luxus rifle. Because the Rössler is a unique switch barrel system (locking the bolt in the barrel instead of in the action), I'd recommend staying with Rössler barrels. Rössler offers an impressive selection of calibers in its barrels.
To answer your two question: The 6.5 Creedmoor is a good choice. I own a Remington 5R Gen 2 in 6.5 Creedmoor, and it shoots extremely well at the rifle range. For hunting, the 6.5 Creedmoor is excellent deer hunting round. In addition, there is a broad selection of hunting and target shooting factory ammunition. I plan on getting a Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 Creedmoor for my grandchildren :) when they begin hunting.
For you second question, I'd answer "yes some are better, however ... ." IMO, the 6.5-284 Norma is "better" than the 6.5 Creedmoor based on a ballistics comparison, however the Norma is an in-between action length. Since Rössler offers the Norma option, it will work (a longer length magazine may be required. Plus, because you reload, you will be able to precisely meet your needs.
I look forward to future posts from you telling us what caliber you choose and how it works for you.
Prost!!
R.Rick