Which Remington??

7sand8s

the sendero .300 or the Remington 5r .300 I heard the 5r was made from scrape barrels or something. Just logged in to ask you guys opinion since you know more than I do. I would definitely be upgrading either guns trigger. The 5r is 840.00 on budsgunshop and the sendero is 1070.00

I have 5 Senderos, and while they are all very accurate, the best out of the box accuracy (and best quality factory barrel) I've seen is from my two 5R Milspecs. So, of the 2, I'd spend the dough on the 5R Milspec over the Sendero, and put that extra $200 towards a good piece of glass, and some good rings & a base. Same exact rifle, but the 5R has a better barrel, IMO.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...Bolt+300+Winchester+Magnum+26+3+1+Synthetic+H

I think both are fine rifles. I like the looks of fluting and wanted a 26" barrel. My sendero took 100 rounds to break in. I also bedded the recoil lug. When I first got it shot 1.5" 5 shot group. Now with about 250-300 rounds is .75 5 shot.

Either one of them is a good rifle. I would also check out the Remington 700 Long Range. They normally run around $650-700 and are a very good value. I had one in .300 Win Mag that shot 3/4 MOA consistently. I was wanting better accuracy than that so rebarreled it, but still a decent shooter for the money.

With the current state of affairs at Remington I think I would look at Tika or Weatherby
maybe a Bergara VERY hard before buying a Remington... When the downhill slide starts quality goes out the window!

With the current state of affairs at Remington I think I would look at Tika or Weatherby
maybe a Bergara VERY hard before buying a Remington... When the downhill slide starts quality goes out the window!
Bankruptcy for a huge company like that doesn't mean anything. It happens DAILY with tons of companies that you use everyday, and never realized it happened. It's the corporate equivalent of an individual doing a debt-consolidation where you hire a 3rd party to get your debt's deflated to a manageable level. That's all there is to that.

People keep talking about it like Remington is going to go away for good... That will never happen. They're America's oldest firearms manufacturer...They're not going anywhere.

I heard the 5r was made from scrape barrels or something.
No, they're not. That is internet rumor. The "scrap barrels" rumor got started from a post made on the internet from some "expert" claiming the first few years of "5R Milspec" rifles were made from M24 barrels that supposedly "didn't make the accuracy cut" for the AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit)...Which WAS sort-of true for the first couple years...Rem used 2nd pick barrels, not first-pick. But they were still very accurate, because the AMU competes in many annual competitions, and the snipers need the most precision instruments they can get, they must have the most precision barrels available to them (Schneider builds them), usually averaging around .25 MOA groups.

So, to set things straight, the 5R rifles have been made since around 2000... After a couple years of using the leftover barrels, Remington realized their potential and started producing the "5R Milspec" as a limited production model from first-pick barrels and receivers. The whole "scrap barrels" thing has been long passed for over 15 years.

So, to make a long story short, NO, they are not made from "scrap barrels", and have not been for nearly 15 years.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.