Which remington firing pin assembly?

ultra707

Hi guys,
So I got my new rifle yesterday and I will recieve my new stock very soon. Apperently the bolt shroud with the j lock from my Remington action will not fit the new HS Precision stock. So I'm going to buy a new firing pin assebly. I was wondering if there is much of a difference in quality between Pacific tool and gauges firing pin assemblies
Remington Performance Parts - Pacific Tool and Gauge Inc.
and the gre-tan brownells sells.
GRE-TAN : REMINGTON 700 FIRING PIN ASSEMBLY - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
I also see pacific tool and gauge sells gre-tan stuff on their website. Does pacific tool and gauge make gre-tans firing pin assemblies?
Any experiances would help. Thanks!
alan

Hi guys,
So I got my new rifle yesterday and I will recieve my new stock very soon. Apperently the bolt shroud with the j lock from my Remington action will not fit the new HS Precision stock. So I'm going to buy a new firing pin assebly. I was wondering if there is much of a difference in quality between Pacific tool and gauges firing pin assemblies
Remington Performance Parts - Pacific Tool and Gauge Inc.
and the gre-tan brownells sells.
GRE-TAN : REMINGTON 700 FIRING PIN ASSEMBLY - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
I also see pacific tool and gauge sells gre-tan stuff on their website. Does pacific tool and gauge make gre-tans firing pin assemblies?
Any experiances would help. Thanks!
alan

I don't know why the J Lock assembly wont work on your stock but if it doesn't you can go
to an after market fireing pin.

PT&G makes good stuff but you should check ANY fireing pin for proper length (.040 to .050
past the bolt face.

If you are going to replace the fireing pin You might also look at the speed lock fireing pin
assembly on midway.

J E CUSTOM

Who told you your new HS Precision stock won't work with the firing pin assembly and bolt shroud of the J lock? I'm not sure why buy most folks swap out the J lock assembly. I've taken a couple apart and compared to the "standard" firing pin assembly the firing pin spring on the J lock looks like it's too long for the unit and is all crooked and convoluted. Guess that could affect lock time. Maybe some of the rifle smiths on here have more knowledge about this.
Check out MidwayUSA part #440881. JohnnyK.

You're right, it does say that. I wonder what it is about that stock (nice stock by the way) that prevents the J-Lock action from being used. Maybe the left side of the stock goes up a little higher that normal and causes the "J" button to rub on the stock. Don't know but good luck in your search. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts