Which rear shooting bag?

Bigeclipse

All,
I have the Caldwell "Rock" front and rear rest. The front works just fine but the rear has swelled due to moisture and the inner material has basically become a solid brick. I never really cared for the rear bag anyways. So what rear rest do you all suggest for range shooting? I do not use bipods out in the field so I do not need a rear bag for a bipod setup. I would like to keep the cost below 100$. Obviously the cheaper the better but I also do not want to buy junk. Thanks!

If you can replace the rear rest's filler material with sand, rice, beans, or bean bag material it should be okay. Or just fill a sock with dry rice or beans.

I like the leather Protektor bags. They make all sorts of them for about any application.
Any idea what they mean when they say 1/2in or 1 inch? They seem to be nicely made but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm assuming it may have something to do with the height of the bag. Is there a standard which most will use?

Wouldn't it be based on your stock configuration and the height you need?
I would set it up just like I'm shooting it then use pieces of wood,books anything till you get the level you want then measure the stack you made?

I had my wife make me one. I could lay down with the rifle in the living room and get where I was comfortable and she could measure and we came up with a design and she sewed it up. Put a zipper on one side and filled it with abnormally shaped plastic beads I think I may have got on Amazon and it was done. She had the fabric laying around so she bought a zipper and some beads and I was probably into it 10 or 15 bucks. I love it. I cant seem to find a picture of it but it's basically a triangle with all three different length sides for different heights whether I'm shooting up or downhill or on flat. It's pretty universal.

I also use the protektor back bags. The one I use is the rabbit ear with the solid bottom. I use both the front and rear bags made by protektor. I really like them. ctw

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.