Which primers? powder?

cheddar

Hey guys. I have been looking but not much info on .223. I will be starting reloading but would like to start looking for primers and powder. I know nothing about either so it makes it tough to read without some help.

What primers fit and work well with a .223 bolt gun? I know some of it may be personal preference and dependant on loads, but there has to one to STAY AWAY from. Same questions goes for powder. I've seen people refer to varget and a bunch of crazy stuff like h54138 or something. What the heck is that? Help me out here guys! Thanks!

Primers will be Small Rifle. I have only used Rem 6.5 primers and for powders I used Varget with 69gn Nosler Competitions (.7-.9") and H4895 with 69gn Sierra MatchKings (.3's). I shot the 55gn Nosler Ballistic Tip ahead of W748 with great accuracy(.1-.2's). I also tried BLC(2) with the 69gn SMK; accuracy ran .3's.
As for suitable powders look at Reloader's Nest - a reloaders resource and you can get a good idea of what everyone uses. There's about 46 different powders listed, so sift through and see what ya like. Check out the websites for the gunpowder companies and they have reloading data also.
Hope this helps. JohnnyK.

The dunces at Remington have redone their website and eliminated the warning, but here it is:

"Regarding 6 1/2 primers, Midway has this under Remington 6 1/2 primers.
Warning: Remington does not recommend this primer for use in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, 204 Ruger, 17 Remington Fireball. Use the 7-1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest primer in these cartridges.

This 6-1/2 Small Rifle primer is primarily designed for use in the 22 Hornet."

Hey cheddar - in the midwest thread you mentioned that Gander has lots of powder. Was that the outlet in Madison, or the big store in Deforest?

Outlet?? I only know of the new big store on the north side of town(Token Creek/Deforest). I didn't see Varget. I can go there again if you need me to look for something in particular.

cheddar - I've never been to either of those stores, because we have a Gander in Janesville. The Madison outlet is listed on Gander's web site under retail location. Thanks for the offer, but I'll be running some errands today and I might just sneak up to the Gander in Deforest. However, if you go to the Madison outlet, let me know what you think.

cheddar - let me know if the have any large rifle primers. For that matter small rifle too. I went to Gander in Janesville and found 1lb of Varget. I picked that up along with IMR4895 and H335. They had no rifle powders.

Went to Gander in Deforest and purchased some .223 and .308 bullets along with some CCI 400's. They only hard some pistol primers and CCI 400. No large rifle primers. I would really like to find some match rifle (small & large) primers.

How many 400s were left? Did you notice they were in the wrong cabinet? Thats the powder only cabinet. I was going to Cabela's in du Chein tomorrow, but that got cancelled. Finding reloading manuals around here is impossible. Gander wants $40 for the Nosler #6 where as Cabela's wants $20. None of the book stores here have any idea what I'm talking about...Frustrating.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.