which primers perform better

jammer300

I'm reloading for my savage in 300 win mag and I'm going to be using H4350 powder and am loading a 200 gr. LRX to try and develop a new load. I have about 1000 Remington 9 1/2 M magnum rifle primers and about the same amount of Winchester large rifle magnum primers. I'm wondering if there is a difference in performance between the two brands and what more experienced re-loaders prefer to use. all responses are welcome. thanks

According to the best resource that we reloaders have available by non-scientific means, Win WLRM burns a little hotter and has less deviation than Rem 9 1/2M. I guess if you want a hotter faster burn, WLRM. If you want slightly slower, 9 1/2M. Load five of each and give them a try.

PrimerTest.gif

As mentioned, the only confirmation for your rifle is to load several with various primers and test. One will produce better groups with the load recipe.

Keep in mind, anytime an ingrediant in the load recipe is changed it will produce a different outcome. In other words, you may have a great recipe using primer A and then you switch to primer B and have less than desirable results. However, using primer B which is the only primer available you can change the powder recipe and can still end up with an acceptable result.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.