Which primer for new StaBall HD

30378wbymag

So I don't have many different brands primers but I have quite a few of these:

Winchester WLRM

Fed. 215

CCI 250

Winchester WLR Large Rifle NON Magnum

Always used magnum primers in ball powders for magnum cartridges but wanted a consensus on which primer for 6.5 PRC with this new StaBall HD... Appreciate any input fellas...

Kinda off the primer topic, but what is the burn rate general equivalent of the HD? is it In the H1000 range?

I have always followed a 60gn of powder rule to at least start the load, if a cartridge has more than 60gn's of powder I start with a magnum primer and if under I use a LRP… If it doesn't like the combo, I will try other primers back and forth between LRP and LRMP's. I can't prove it, but have been told the Winchester LRP primers are hotter than the CCI and Federal LRP primers, so maybe a mid point between lets say a Fed LRP and LRMP… 🤷🏻‍♂️

I need to do some research… If anyone has loaded it in 300WM, Id love to hear some data and load information. I just heard about this powder a cpl days ago watching a video from shot show, interesting!

For what it's worth, just this week I've been trying to develop a load for a new 25 Sherman Short Tactical (25 SST), and did experiment with Win. StaBALL HD powder and using both Fed. GM210M (match) & Fed. GM215M (match) primers. (The bullet was a 121 gr. Hammer Hunter. ). There is of course no published data using this combination, or at least that I could find. Anyway, the variants between these two primers at every load density I tried was remarkably similar! In fact, the average difference between the two primers for each load level was only 7.5 fps.! So in my opinion, and based only on this very limited test, there really was no noticeable difference between the two. POI's were about the same, and I reached pressure with both primers at the exact same load density. (57.5 grains). I might add, for my the 25 SST at least, this powder/primer and bullet combination doesn't get me the velocity I'm looking for. Good Luck with your 6.5 PRC. I hope this info helps in your development.

For what it's worth, just this week I've been trying to develop a load for a new 25 Sherman Short Tactical (25 SST), and did experiment with Win. StaBALL HD powder and using both Fed. GM210M (match) & Fed. GM215M (match) primers. (The bullet was a 121 gr. Hammer Hunter. ). There is of course no published data using this combination, or at least that I could find. Anyway, the variants between these two primers at every load density I tried was remarkably similar! In fact, the average difference between the two primers for each load level was only 7.5 fps.! So in my opinion, and based only on this very limited test, there really was no noticeable difference between the two. POI's were about the same, and I reached pressure with both primers at the exact same load density. (57.5 grains). I might add, for my the 25 SST at least, this powder/primer and bullet combination doesn't get me the velocity I'm looking for. Good Luck with your 6.5 PRC. I hope this info helps in your development.
RogerPA,
Thanks VERY much for this, it is absolutely helpful... We're supposed to get some warmer temps next week so I'm hoping to get out in the garage and load some....

In no way a magnum lol.. but the 6.5 Staball in my 708 definitely prefers a magnum, or at least a hotter primer. In the 708 it's an accuracy thing not really a speed thing. With the magnum primers and 46.3 grains it's pushing a 140 VLD at 2950 with 26" Shilen. I've seen it go over 3000 without any pressure signs, but it shoots the best in the 29s.