Which Primer for my .300 Win Mag Load?

I've used standard, mild RWS primers in 30 caliber mag's getting 1/2 MOA accuracy at long range. That "Magnum" label on primers does not mean they put out the most flash and heat.

I'd use Tulammo's LR primers which are popular these days for long range accuracy.

No I have not, I talked with Brett Buisse and he said Boots had taken some time off for the holidays. I will make sure i update when I hear back from him!!

I was wondering same thing. I use mostly Fed 215/215m in my mag rifles and few years back had couple WSM build. I used WLRM primers in those buiids and I never seen anything that would of caused me to go back to Fed primers in those rifles. 1000 primers lot of shooting and experience.

The one thing I suggest is when you start loading with a new lot of primers, Make sure you shoot through a chronograph. My brother got some primers once. He had a shot about 1 in 10 that would drop way out of his group. He had precisely weight powder, same box of bullets and brass, One day at the range another shooter had a chronograph. He allowed brother John shoot through. One shot dropped about 4 inches out of the group. The chronograph logged 200 FPS less on that shot. A couple days later I ordered a chronograph. You can waste a lot of bullets and powder if you have a bad brick of primers you are loading with. Good Luck and Happy Shooting.

I don't thing that link's info is a good test.

As the velocity spread with rifles hand held against ones shoulder and fired as they rest atop a bench is typically 3 to 4 times greater than if the rifle was fired in free recoil or the barreled action in a fixed mount, I don't think those FPS numbers in that link are reliable. Us humans don't hold rifles repeatably in such positions from a bench.

And 3-shot tests are not enough to get decent confidence levels of their uniformity.

Last edited:
I don't thing that link's info is a good test.

As the velocity spread with rifles hand held against ones shoulder and fired as they rest atop a bench is typically 3 to 4 times greater than if the rifle was fired in free recoil or the barreled action in a fixed mount, I don't think those FPS numbers in that link are reliable. Us humans don't hold rifles repeatably in such positions from a bench.

And 3-shot tests are not enough to get decent confidence levels of their uniformity.

[ame]https://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k?t=2[/ame]

... and where the heck did I say it was a good test. If you took the time to read the link it is titled "Just playing with different primers" and is clearly noted inside "Just sharing "as-is" for what it is worth".

Having said that, it was good enough to harvest a muley buck at 425 yards.

Human factors will always complicate things.

... and where the heck did I say it was a good test.
Nowhere whatsoever. But some readers will interpret it to be a good one. 3-shots are the most common and about the least good for testing shooting stuff that's got so many variables.

Human factors will always complicate things.
You just proved that.

Sorry if I upset your emotional apple cart. Hope the muley tasted good and looked better.

Nowhere whatsoever. But some readers will interpret it to be a good one. 3-shots are the most common and about the least good for testing shooting stuff that's got so many variables.

You just proved that.

Sorry if I upset your emotional apple cart.

lightbulbWe're not all as good as you!lightbulb

Reading comprehension is one of those human factors.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.