Which press?

Well my next press will be a Lee classic cast, it has a larger window and ram travel that will make loading the big magnums alot easier. I've heard nothing but good things about them from people that have em, and it's only $70!

Here's another one. I just got a Lee's Classic a while back and love it. Can't imagine why you'd ever need anything any heavier made if there even is one heavier made and the primer catch tube is sooooo nice. FLS is an ease. I am sure it will outlast me. Only con to it I have found is the wood ball handle, I had to expoxy it on but that wasn't no biggy.

Im using a RCBS rockchucker that I bought about 1 year ago and just took out of the box in early december. Also using a small Lee "El Cheapo" a classic I think it is for priming and thats all. RCBS JR3 that I got off E-Bay in almost new condition is being used and the Dillon 550-b is on the back bench waiting for me to stop fiddeling with various loads and set it up for "production".

I dont even attach those little plastic primer catcher thingies to my RCBS loaders...I just pop them out and let them fall on the floor. A shop vac is too easy to use to suck them all up.

If I were staring out again...and had the $$ for a new one...and was positive Id be loading various calibers....then my only choice would be a new RockChucker.

As far as being cast in china..? so what? A quality product is a quality product. A *** is just that regardless of who makes it.

Here's another one. I just got a Lee's Classic a while back and love it. Can't imagine why you'd ever need anything any heavier made if there even is one heavier made and the primer catch tube is sooooo nice. FLS is an ease. I am sure it will outlast me. Only con to it I have found is the wood ball handle, I had to expoxy it on but that wasn't no biggy.

If a man were reloading a bunch of big case magnums and full length resizing them, that Lee press would have a life span measured in hours..:D.......BUT....99% of us never are in that situation.

If a man were reloading a bunch of big case magnums and full length resizing them, that Lee press would have a life span measured in hours..:D.......BUT....99% of us never are in that situation.

You really should learn more about the different Lee presses. While Lee makes/made some presses for which your statement might be true, the Lee Classic Cast (iron) press is not one of them. It handles anything that will fit in it (larger than a lot of other single stage presses) just fine.

Andy

You really should learn more about the different Lee presses. While Lee makes/made some presses for which your statement might be true, the Lee Classic Cast (iron) press is not one of them. It handles anything that will fit in it (larger than a lot of other single stage presses) just fine.

Andy

I own one...have operated all of their C and O frame presses and they seem to be A-OK for normal operations....BUT...compare the two brands and see the strength and massivness of the RCBS line...and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know for a fact the RCBS is a more robust press. A perosn may not NEED that amount of robustness...but its there never the less

I use the RCBS Rock Chucker. I love it. I load everything from Ruger .204 to .338 Lapua Mag. Zero Problems, well built, and a proven track record. Redding's Big Boss Press is also a very good press... Either one will run you around ~$150

Re: Another vote for Forster

:) The Forster Co-Ax press has served me well. A very substantial press, it is capable of handling heavier-duty work as well as the smaller calibers like .223 or .22-250.

It is a little different from other presses. For one thing, the die is installed by inserting the previously tightened lock ring into a milled slot, instead of screwing the die into the press and then tightening the lock ring. This allows very quick die changes without moving the lock ring. You can remove the die and re-install it quickly without having to re-adjust the die (This is a BIG advantage). Also, this arrangement allows the die to "float" slightly in the horizontal plane while remaining rigidly held along the vertical axis.

A second design feature is the closed system for capturing the spent primer. The primer drops into a tube directly feeding into a closed storage cup. No messy and lead-laden primer residue can accumulate on or around the press.

Finally, there is a universal shell holder with spring-loaded jaws holding the brass case. When adjusted properly, these jaws hold the case while allowing slight "float" in the horizontal plane. This feature, along with a similar feature for the die mentioned above, is good for concentric sizing and bullet seating operations. If desired, a coventional shellholder adapter plate is available for use with standard shell holders.

Forster's tech support is very good. One of their reps patiently talked me through the setup. All of the information was in the instruction sheets, of course, but I neglected to read it thoroughly.

Good luck with your choice.

basicly the easiest way to say this is that the cartridge case self centers itself with the die centerline as pressure increases during the sizing of the case. There is no conventional shell holder involved; thus taking the error of machining it out of the picture. I do not use the Forster lock rings, but use steel Lymans. They are about .005" thinner, and help the die seek it's own center as well. The case head sets on the bolster plate of the press, and it's the surface everything is squared off of. This is why a Forster is the squarest press made.

Then there is the torquing of the ram during the up stroke that most presses have. Cannot be avoided as it's part of the design. Where as the Forster uses two guide rods 180 degrees apart. The Forster is also a true "toggle press." With that setup it's easilly the most powerfull press out there unless you happen to own a hydraulic press. I can full length resize military .308 brass with one finger. Is absolutely the best press for case forming. I can push the shoulder back 5/16" on a 30-30 case with two fingers all day long. My press this morning is just as tight as the day I set it up the first time in 1978, so I think my $83 was well spent
gary

Im using a RCBS rockchucker that I bought about 1 year ago and just took out of the box in early december. Also using a small Lee "El Cheapo" a classic I think it is for priming and thats all. RCBS JR3 that I got off E-Bay in almost new condition is being used and the Dillon 550-b is on the back bench waiting for me to stop fiddeling with various loads and set it up for "production".

I dont even attach those little plastic primer catcher thingies to my RCBS loaders...I just pop them out and let them fall on the floor. A shop vac is too easy to use to suck them all up.

If I were staring out again...and had the $$ for a new one...and was positive Id be loading various calibers....then my only choice would be a new RockChucker.

As far as being cast in china..? so what? A quality product is a quality product. A *** is just that regardless of who makes it.

it's your job
gary

I see no one has suggested the Redding T-7 Turret press. I have been using one for about 3 years now and my ammo is straighter than ever. I had a Rock cucker before and it was fine but I love the ease of simply rotating to another die and the fact I set the dies up and leave them. I have a few extra heads that change out with one bolt so I never have to remove my dies. In fact I just bought another T-7 for my new reloading room. So now I will have two. Great press as far as I am concerned.

Jeff gun)gun)

Then there is the torquing of the ram during the up stroke that most presses have. Cannot be avoided as it's part of the design. Where as the Forster uses two guide rods 180 degrees apart. The Forster is also a true "toggle press." With that setup it's easilly the most powerfull press out there unless you happen to own a hydraulic press. I can full length resize military .308 brass with one finger. Is absolutely the best press for case forming. I can push the shoulder back 5/16" on a 30-30 case with two fingers all day long. My press this morning is just as tight as the day I set it up the first time in 1978, so I think my $83 was well spent
gary

"Torqueing of the Ram"...?? Im sure that 1" diameter steel bar is going to deflect a tremendous amount in its 4" travel...:rolleyes: and your $83 1978 press is now $240 ON SALE....thats $100 MORE than a Rockchucker. Is that what I have to pay to be able to full length re-size using 1 finger?? No thanks!

I see no one has suggested the Redding T-7 Turret press. I have been using one for about 3 years now and my ammo is straighter than ever. I had a Rock cucker before and it was fine but I love the ease of simply rotating to another die and the fact I set the dies up and leave them. I have a few extra heads that change out with one bolt so I never have to remove my dies. In fact I just bought another T-7 for my new reloading room. So now I will have two. Great press as far as I am concerned.

Jeff gun)gun)

Redding is too much loot for this poor boy...but IF...IF I were dead set on buying a turret press...Redding would be the one for sure

I just have to struggle along with my old Dillon 550B.....:D

"Torqueing of the Ram"...?? Im sure that 1" diameter steel bar is going to deflect a tremendous amount in its 4" travel...:rolleyes: and your $83 1978 press is now $240 ON SALE....thats $100 MORE than a Rockchucker. Is that what I have to pay to be able to full length re-size using 1 finger?? No thanks!

first of all you get what you pay for

*has nothing to do with the diameter of the ram, but everything to do with the engineering involved. If your Rockchucker works well for, the so be it! But it's not good enough for me, and some other folks. I'm cheapskate! Work hard for every dime I earn. I've bought four presses since 1978. The Forster, an RCBS Partner, a K&M arbor press, and a Mec 650 shotgun shell press. Each was bought for one reason, and for their intended purpose they do a perfect job. Now take the $130 price tag of the Rockchucker and add onto it the price of each shell holder you use, plus the price of the priming device you use. I use about a dozen shell holders alone. By the way I use the RCBS for pulling bullets, and sawing off cases with a jeweller's saw. Otherwise it just sets there gathering dust
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.