Which PRC for my lightweight mountain rifle

Not bragging but I've killed 25 elk, most with rem 7 mag, 4 or 5 with the 6.5-284. Never had 1 wounded that got away & almost all were 1 shot kills. It's all about shot placement & accuracy. Shouldn't be hunting with a bigger caliber thinking that now you can take a bad shot cuz i got a big gun!
Didn't imply that at all. 30 caliber and above just create a larger wound channel and kill better. And, you are bragging!!😜

Hey guys,
I am new to the forum, but I have read through plenty of posts. I am planning on buying a CA Ridgeline, a Leopold VX-5HD 3-15, with Talley lightweight integral rings. I know that is the glass and rifle combo I want to go with. I know I want either the 6.5PRC, or .300PRC for caliber. I know the 6.5PRC will give me a lighter all around rifle. I plan on using the rifle mostly for hunting and some target shooting. I live on the east coast, and have never hunted out west, but I plan on getting out west to hunt semi regularly. I like the idea of a 6.5PRC as an all around mountain gun but what is everyone's experience on Elk? I have seen videos of it being used out to 700+ yards, I wouldn't shoot that far on Elk probably keep it within 500. I also have my 45-70 if I am hunting somewhere and it is all closer range. So my question is do I go with the 6.5PRC or should I bump up to the 300 PRC? I know there are plenty of other tried and true calibers, but I am really interested in the new PRC line.
I grew up in elk country - have owned 300 rum, 300 wby 325 wsm etc. 38 yrs old, 6'5" 240, not recoil shy...a 6.5 PRC is my main elk gun now. It kills them just as well at my 300 magnums. I am rockin a BA Tactical with a 4-24x52 VX6HD - its lightning in a bottle, I have killed game out to 1200 with it. I wouldnt hesitate to knock the wind out of an elk at that distance with my setup. I have a lot of confidence in it.

I grew up in elk country - have owned 300 rum, 300 wby 325 wsm etc. 38 yrs old, 6'5" 240, not recoil shy...a 6.5 PRC is my main elk gun now. It kills them just as well at my 300 magnums. I am rockin a BA Tactical with a 4-24x52 VX6HD - its lightning in a bottle, I have killed game out to 1200 with it. I wouldnt hesitate to knock the wind out of an elk at that distance with my setup. I have a lot of confidence in it.
What made you decide between the VX5 and VX6? I'm currently looking at those choices, there is a price difference but the VX6 isn't really out of my range just on the high end. Is it worth making the jump?

Hey guys,
I am new to the forum, but I have read through plenty of posts. I am planning on buying a CA Ridgeline, a Leopold VX-5HD 3-15, with Talley lightweight integral rings. I know that is the glass and rifle combo I want to go with. I know I want either the 6.5PRC, or .300PRC for caliber. I know the 6.5PRC will give me a lighter all around rifle. I plan on using the rifle mostly for hunting and some target shooting. I live on the east coast, and have never hunted out west, but I plan on getting out west to hunt semi regularly. I like the idea of a 6.5PRC as an all around mountain gun but what is everyone's experience on Elk? I have seen videos of it being used out to 700+ yards, I wouldn't shoot that far on Elk probably keep it within 500. I also have my 45-70 if I am hunting somewhere and it is all closer range. So my question is do I go with the 6.5PRC or should I bump up to the 300 PRC? I know there are plenty of other tried and true calibers, but I am really interested in the new PRC line.
If you plan to hunt Elk in Griz country the 300....and just more versatile IMHO....

Seekins will have the havak element available in both 6.5 and 300 prc very soon. Rifle will be under 6#. Get a terminator or beast brake, as the recoil will be high.

Hey guys,
I shoot a 6.5 SAUM, which is very similar ballistically to the PRC. I also have a couple larger calibers. I'm 50 and the older I get the more I dislike recoil. The 6.5 will be fine for elk at 500 and in. A light weight Mtn rifle will really magnify any imperfections with your shooting skills. Most guys will always shoot the lighter caliber more accurately than the heavier ones. I know that's the case with myself. I would buy the 6.5 and make sure you practice at your max ranges. The recoil will be less and you'll be more inclined to practice. Just my thoughts. There's a reason I have a beautiful 7 STW in my gun vault with very few rounds through it. Good luck.

Hey guys,

In a heart beat I'd go with the 6.5 PRC over the 300. More user friendly, more fun to practice with and plenty of gun! When and where is your next elk hunt? Personally, unless you're hunting in a rain forrest I'd ditch the 45/70 idea for elk, been there done that and I almost always had the wrong gun in my hands..........grin

I'll be interested to see if Tikka brings out there T3 Lite in the 6.5 PRC. Uffda, that'd be a piece to grab onto!

Hahahaha! But no, not bragging. I only kill for the meat! 😇
Just know that I agree with you if you read my original post. Bullet selection and shot placement are paramount and trump everything. A lot of elk have been taken with a .243 and they've killed a lot of moose in Europe with the 6.5x55 Swede, but those wouldn't be my choice for elk. With all the different cartridge options nowadays, I feel you should pick which one will suit the desired purpose. I like to stack as many odds in my favor, so if a 30 cal or larger will give me an advantage on larger game with better wound channels, I'm going to take that advantage. I've spoken with a number of outfitters over the years who have stated they (clients) have lost more wounded elk to a 7 Rem Mag. Most likely due to over confidence (cuz it's a magnum), a poor shot and not being proficient with that particular rifle/cartridge. I feel I owe it to the animal to take it out as quickly as possible, so I will always use at least a 30 cal on elk.

My avatar has the photo of my mountain goat. I took him with my 338 Lapua. Was told by the outfitter to bring the largest caliber I was comfortable (plus we were on Kodiak Island and may have to deal with griz) with since you want to poke axe them and not have them run off the side of the mountain. I took out the front shoulders and he fell over dead before I could rack another round. My buddy took his with his 7 Rem Mag. His died, but not before it went off the side of the mountain. They spent all day finding it and bringing it back up 2500 vertical feet to camp. Did we both get our Billy's? Yes, but mine was a lot easier after the shooting was done and I attribute that to my chosen cartridge (my buddy is a crack shot and head of his SWAT team so it wasn't a shot placement issue).

Over confidence cuz it's a magnum is a bunch of baloney.......I've seen the various Big 7's used on a ton load of elk and they're incredibly effective. Hard to find another magnum as user friendly as that round, and incredibly easy to use.

One thing guides never mention is their part in the whole mystery of which rounds are good. Point being if the guide is calm and cool and does his/her part then their client will be calm and cool and deliver when it;s time to do so.

The guides job doesn't end when he/she finds the game, that's where it starts. It's their job to get their clients into a position to win, and part of that is knowing what their client can and can't do. I've seen and known all too many guides that had to be Johnny Leather Legs and haul their client into complete exhaustion then......when it came time to take the shot they didn't have the cool and calm to keep their client cool and calm!

Always easy to blame the rounds, when generally they don't have much to do with it. Elk are basically easy to kill, take out their battery (lungs) and it's game over. I've seen plenty take with the 22/250 and Swift up to 416's. Once the lungs are gone it's game over....

As to the mountain goats, the rounds we've found to anchor them in the cliffs the best is the 22/250 and Swift. With the 338 and so on, they have a tendency to take a walk and in goat country like down by Hebgen it doesn't take much of a stroll and one's air born...:)

Just something to consider

I have killed game out to 1200 with it. I wouldnt hesitate to knock the wind out of an elk at that distance with my setup. I have a lot of confidence in it.
And this kind of crap is why we find dead heads after rifle season
Even at 6000' you're looking at about 650 ft lbs of energy, and depending on the bullet you're below the velocity for reliable expansion

What made you decide between the VX5 and VX6? I'm currently looking at those choices, there is a price difference but the VX6 isn't really out of my range just on the high end. Is it worth making the jump?
I have both - I have a 3-15x56 VX5HD on my bergara premier approach 6mm coyote gun. You can't go wrong either way. I wanted a little more magnification and I like the illuminated TMOA reticle for long range, which is what my 6.5 PRC was put together for. I am up putting her to work in Montana this weekend chasing black bears.

Last edited:
And this kind of crap is why we find dead heads after rifle season
Even at 6000' you're looking at about 650 ft lbs of energy, and depending on the bullet you're below the velocity for reliable expansion
I pick the right bullets, put in the time to work on my craft, I haven't lost an animal yet. Maybe it is because I have the self control to pass on shots I don't feel good about. Run those numbers at 10k feet which is where I hunt a lot of the time. Ft lbs of energy is over rated. 10mm shooting a 180gr has 700ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. I have killed elk with my 10mm, blew threw shoulder bone and into the vitals - crazy stuff right? Are you the guy that claims the 225 eldm is blowing up on elk shoulders at 700 yards? there is a reason I ignored you, now I remember why. I need to stop hitting the show ignored content button. You are seriously one of the most annoying dudes on this forum.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.