Which PRC for my lightweight mountain rifle

mohigan

Hey guys,
I am new to the forum, but I have read through plenty of posts. I am planning on buying a CA Ridgeline, a Leopold VX-5HD 3-15, with Talley lightweight integral rings. I know that is the glass and rifle combo I want to go with. I know I want either the 6.5PRC, or .300PRC for caliber. I know the 6.5PRC will give me a lighter all around rifle. I plan on using the rifle mostly for hunting and some target shooting. I live on the east coast, and have never hunted out west, but I plan on getting out west to hunt semi regularly. I like the idea of a 6.5PRC as an all around mountain gun but what is everyone's experience on Elk? I have seen videos of it being used out to 700+ yards, I wouldn't shoot that far on Elk probably keep it within 500. I also have my 45-70 if I am hunting somewhere and it is all closer range. So my question is do I go with the 6.5PRC or should I bump up to the 300 PRC? I know there are plenty of other tried and true calibers, but I am really interested in the new PRC line.

I love the 6.5PRC. Having hunted quite a bit in N. Carolina, Va, W. Virginia, and Ga. the 6.5 will serve you very well out in that country as well.
I'm actually from WV, only recently moved to SC. I don't have any concerns with a 6.5 for this area, and that is one of the attractions is it won't be over bore her, but it won't be to under bore for elk.

6.5 will be funner all around rifle. 300 PRC is a bigger boomer and not near is much fun at the range. 300 PRC is Absolute thumper on game with 212 going 2900 and you won't have to set limits. 6.5 will have limits but more than capable of taking elk at 600. 300 will knock em down faster but 6.5 will kill em just as dead.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts