Which pack?

I have a badlands, it's great, I have been using it 15 years. I'm sure the others mentioned here are awesome. I haven't seen Eberlestock mentioned suprisingly, I know a few people that like those. Whichever one you get make sure it has a way to carry your rifle/bow on the pack. You'd be amazed how much strain that saves on your shoulders and arms, really frees you up to get somewhere fast then you can hunt.

I run the ALICE pack. Part of my severance package from my first real job. It is not super light, but it can hold all my gear, packs alot of meat well, and they can be had for about 30 bucks from Glens Army/Navy or any other surplus store. I really like all the pockets and the straps are well thought out. And durable? Forgeddaboudit, this baby is nearly in-destructable (same pack and frame since 91'). I have actually been looking at the Kuiu system. I had a chance to use one of the Mystery Ranch packs for a weekend, and for the money was not super impressed.

Depending on your use, myself and my cousin both use a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80. We are also the guys that will haul 120+ on a pack out if we get something down instead of making one extra trip back in. It has more than enough room to fit everything for a 10 day back country hunt, and pack out your critter when your done. Our packs full on the hike in for a 3-5 day hunt, with rifle, spotter, water, food and so on are around 58-62 lbs depending on any extra niceties we take, and have oodles of room left. The pack itself is 6.7 lbs, and has about 5,200 cu-in of well organized room. We both used Alpz outdoor packs before of different varieties, this beartooth is the same weight as my previous 3,100 cu-in pack, and I carried around a needle and thread for repairs of torn stitching and such with that pack. I have had no issues with this pack as of yet.

If you won't pack more than 80ish lbs, or won't ever stay in the back country for more than 3-4 days, maybe look at the Metcalf or Sawtooth, and cut some weight, a lb or a little more, and excess room. However, If I was going on a sheep 10 day sheep hunt, this is the pack I would take.

I have, or maybe I should say we have, since our family shares a group of Eberlestock packs. We have an old Eberlestock that I don't remember which model, but it's sort of a cross between their X1 Euro and the X1A3 Pack. And we do have the X1A3 pack. We like both of those a lot. Last fall I added the M5 Team Elk Pack to the group. While I've used it once, it has not been fully tested. But I think it will likely be the preferred pack of the group since it gives us more capacity. We've added many of the Eberlestock accessories to our "hunting tub". We really like being able to 'pack' our rifles when we're going to be hiking for several miles.

In addition to those packs, we added a Tenzing TZ SP-14 pack to our group. We won't be packing any meat out in it, but it's a nice lightweight day pack. I like that a rifle can be strapped down between the two "batwing" compartments on the back. One can quickly yank the pack off, lay down prone, and shoot without having to remove the rifle. My daughter prefers to use this pack because it more easily carries her crossbow than the other packs.

Tenzing TX 2220 has served me well, plenty room for rain gear, water, and carries scoped rifle. Very comfortable!! Can't haul meat out, we have other packs.

This past year I switched to the Mystery Ranch Marshall and I'm super happy with it. Huge payload capacity, very adjustable, removable day pack, meat shelf... it's a workhorse.

Backpacks are like boots. If they are not comfortable it doesn't matter how light they are. Like the light rifle that won't shoot versus the heavy tack driver.
I definitely second the Mystery Ranch packs. I bought mine when they were Dana Design back in the 90's and have never replaced or worn one out. Very comfortable for heavy loads also great at not shifting around on your back as you climb. What ever you buy try it on and make sure it will adjust to your body type. It might sound crazy but a 40# bag of dog food (in your car) to put in the pack for your trial fitting will give you a world of information that makes the decision easier. Plan on walking around in the store for at least 30 minutes to get a feel for the fit on your body type. Most top line packs are fairly pricey these days and none of the sales people at REI will blink an eye if you want to try one out with a load in it. (they will think you are an old pro when you do something like that)
I have a very light rifle that is a tack driver:)! Problem solved.

I like my badlands packs. They make one for just about every type of hunting. I have a couple of smaller daypacks for archery whitetail outings and their really big one for drop hunts that require more gear and can be used to pack out loads of meat. They just flatout work and I have not worn one out yet. Can't say they are the best, but they are the best ones I have ever owned.

Here's the cold hard truth...there's no such thing as a comfortable pack. I would personally look at packs that are the lightest, with the most padding in the shoulders and most support/padding on the waist strap. You want a pack that puts the majority of the weight on the hips and not the shoulders/upper back. I like the eberlestock gunslinger II, but I also know there are more comfortable packs out there.

Guys I have 2 packs..and I wouldn't say I'm overly pleased with either one.
I have the dwight schuh pack from cabelas..uncomfortable for me

Then I have a kifaru..much more comfortable however still heavier than other packs ..

What do yall use and recommend
Packs....and calibers, and rifles, and scopes, and pretty much everything.......are like women....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone sees beauty differently. Would you post on here.......who should I marry?? (Sadly many would/do....) LRH is like on line dating. Collect some suggestions here and research on line. Then, get out among those with packs and try them on for your own preferences. Go to ranges, shows, clubs (admittedly diffcult in COVID) and talk with real hunters, packers. Ask them to bring their packs with them next range day so you can try them. Bring your gear you will be packing, and load out the packs while they are shooting. Most guys will be happy to show and share their packs in person. Kinda like real dating. :) :) :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.