Which pack?

DXHI

Guys I have 2 packs..and I wouldn't say I'm overly pleased with either one.
I have the dwight schuh pack from cabelas..uncomfortable for me

Then I have a kifaru..much more comfortable however still heavier than other packs ..

What do yall use and recommend

Well this would be another pack thread. Prepare for a huge variety of opinions. Basically packs come down to personal preference. For example I no longer am willing to haul 100 pounds due to bad knees, and nerve damage in my neck and shoulder from hauling said 100+lb loads. I use a kuiu pack which are not known for handling super heavy loads but handles 80 lbs comfortably.

I've used a Mystery Ranch Metcalf for the past 3 years and have been very happy with it. But it's all about what's comfortable to you. If I had to choose between lightweight or comfort I would choose comfort all day long. Then figure out where to shed some weight elsewhere.

Backpacks are like boots. If they are not comfortable it doesn't matter how light they are. Like the light rifle that won't shoot versus the heavy tack driver.
I definitely second the Mystery Ranch packs. I bought mine when they were Dana Design back in the 90's and have never replaced or worn one out. Very comfortable for heavy loads also great at not shifting around on your back as you climb. What ever you buy try it on and make sure it will adjust to your body type. It might sound crazy but a 40# bag of dog food (in your car) to put in the pack for your trial fitting will give you a world of information that makes the decision easier. Plan on walking around in the store for at least 30 minutes to get a feel for the fit on your body type. Most top line packs are fairly pricey these days and none of the sales people at REI will blink an eye if you want to try one out with a load in it. (they will think you are an old pro when you do something like that)

I have bought into the Kuiu pack system, and really like it for its weight and features. Like Kifaru, you buy the frame and you can attach different bags to it. It also carries loads really well, and it was not until I took it out fully loaded did I really appreciate the fit and design. What I see with most companies, is they either take after military styling (heavier material, MOLLE, conventional padding) or hiking/outdoors (Lighter weight material, streamlined frame/suspension, layout). Companies like Kifaru and Eberlestock being more of the former with say Kuiu and Stone Glacier being more the latter.

Last edited:
I can add another vote for the KUIU. But like another already said, it fits me like a good pair of boots. So that is why I like it. Previous experience was a Cabela's Alaskan Frame, so it was a big jump in technology.

I'm with kuiu pro system to change from day pack size to expedition capacity. Two packs in one, same comfort/setup. I think mystery ranch is definitely one of the best as well with durability and comfort. All the guides I know run MR, all the backcountry lightweight guys I know run kuiu.

I have a kifaru and I love it. Since you are wanting to look at something lighter in weight, I think Stone Glacier would be one to look at. If I wasn't happy with my Kifaru, I would look at Stone Glacier next.

Guys I have 2 packs..and I wouldn't say I'm overly pleased with either one.
I have the dwight schuh pack from cabelas..uncomfortable for me

Then I have a kifaru..much more comfortable however still heavier than other packs ..

What do yall use and recommend
Badlands super day

i also started with a Cabela's Alaskan Frame & returned it shortly after trying it out. I then got a Dana Design like Scott E Ames, back in the late 90's. I didn't wear it out, i just upgraded to Mystery Ranch in 2008 when i was in Bozeman, MT & stopped at their facility. They're a heavier pack to start with, but if a few lbs. is going to be a problem to carry, then you probably shouldn't be going anyway. Just my 2 cents worth!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.