Which one ?

So many choices.:)

IIWM of those two 7/300 Weatherby but I have to ask why only those two when there are so many 7mm chamberings?

Both of those are great cartridges. I shoot the 7-300 weatherby because I ended up with a set of dies and got a good deal on a reamer. Using weatherby brass and running 180 Berger hybrids at 3100. If I had the components I would not have hesitated to build the 7-300 win.

My 280ai just isn't giving me what I was hoping for. Just asking on those two cartridges to see what owners have to say. Not sure what direction to go. Mainly for elk and long range muleys.

7x300 win
7x300 weatherby
Nothing wrong with either caliber choice, and I completely respect the "being oddball and unique" factor, because I am that way with most things. But like was asked already, why not just go with an already established 7mm caliber? The 7mmRM can send 168's over 3,100 fps with a 26+" barrel. The 7mm STW can also do 3,000-3,100 fps with 180gr bullets.

If you are hunting mostly inside of 1000 yards, the 7mm RM will do what you want it to. If you want to stretch it on out farther, the 7mm STW will allow that to happen.

I really have had best luck with the 7mm-300 Win Mag. Just a hard case to beat, good brass availability, not too over bore, and we have seen 3200 with 180's from a 29". Built a 22" and got 3000 with 180's.

I just changed one for a friend to a 338 EDGE. Let me know if you are interested in a 28 3/4" SS barrel 1 in 9 twist , chambered in 7mm 300 for a REM 700, 50 pcs of RWS brass fired 2 or 3 times in this chamber and a set on Redding Competition dies. Barrel has always been a good shooter.

Jeff

My barrel is a 24" shilen stainless match. Should I re chamber it from 280ai to the new one or buy a new barrel? I am one for the oddball cartridges. That's the reason for it. Also thought about the 28 nosler. But that will be more work on the rifle. I'm just not getting anything different out of the ackley that I was out of the standard 280. I had a load with rl26 that was shooting awesome and getting me single digit ex spreads and std deviations but was told it was over pressure . I was getting no signs of a hot load at all. So I don't know what to do or think.

My barrel is a 24" shilen stainless match. Should I re chamber it from 280ai to the new one or buy a new barrel? I am one for the oddball cartridges. That's the reason for it. Also thought about the 28 nosler. But that will be more work on the rifle. I'm just not getting anything different out of the ackley that I was out of the standard 280. I had a load with rl26 that was shooting awesome and getting me single digit ex spreads and std deviations but was told it was over pressure . I was getting no signs of a hot load at all. So I don't know what to do or think.
You will also have to open up the bolt face to .540" (magnum bolt face)...And there is no going back smaller after that, without a whole new bolt body. And you'll have to change out the mag follower for a magnum caliber.

You're also the first person I've ever heard of that was displeased with their .280 AI's performance... Generally, most people are impressed with it.

Also, who told you it was overpressure? Just because a load is at book max, or above, doesn't necessarily mean that it is overpressure in YOUR particular gun (every gun is different), if you are not seeing any pressure signs, then it is still a safe load in your rifle.

Ya I know that I will have to open the bolt face, another problem I don't know about wanting to do. I won't mention names but this is what I ran.
63.5 gr rl26 1/2" groups @ 3234fps with 150gr accubond lr's. Ex spread of 11 and dev of 7. No sticky bolt lift, primers looked good, no shiny spots on brass or ejector marks. Not saying they don't know what there talking about because I have read there posts and there very knowledgable guys. But they say I'm pushing around 69,000 to 71,000 psi.

Ya I know that I will have to open the bolt face, another problem I don't know about wanting to do. I won't mention names but this is what I ran.
63.5 gr rl26 1/2" groups @ 3234fps with 150gr accubond lr's. Ex spread of 11 and dev of 7. No sticky bolt lift, primers looked good, no shiny spots on brass or ejector marks. Not saying they don't know what there talking about because I have read there posts and there very knowledgable guys. But they say I'm pushing around 69,000 to 71,000 psi.
Well I hope it wasn't me because if it was I'll have to eat those words.

I just plugged that into QL and got:
3234fps WOW, dead on.
53k PSI
1.426 barrel time to a OBT of 1.434 so only .008 off OBT, I'm good with that.

I plugged the exterior ballistics into JMB and got:
Max PBR: 400 yards
Max zero: 339 yard
1800fps minimum impact velocity range: 1000 yards
energy at 1000 yards: 1076flb

If it's still 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards you have one nice rifle and load combination.

Holding to my personal rule made up for no particular reason: 1500flb and 2000+fps you are good on elk to 750 yards.

IIWM i'd be hard pressed to find a reason to change it.

I recommend no changes at this time. But heck what do I know.

That load might be over SAAMI recommended pressure, but if you are not seeing pressure signs in your particular rifle, then I don't consider that being over-pressured.

But we all have differing opinions, and that is mine. Sounds like a safe load in your particular rifle, to me... But I'm far from an expert, or any voice of reasoning, I just try to give opinions and help when I can.

I gotta agree with Fred... Sounds like you have found your rifle's perfect load, if it continues to shoot 1/2 MOA all the way to your max distance. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing, except for maybe swapping to Berger 168 VLD's for a little more "oomph!" on longer range game. Then again, I'm sure yall knew that statement was coming. :D

Well they ran ql also and came up with the info. Hell I don't know. My bullets are seated out quite aways also. 24" barrel . 210 fed m primers. Others told me to shoot it also.
Would you mind posting you ql data on the load you say I'm dead on

The Weatherby will give you the ultimate knock-down but the 300 Win will do anything its called on to do ad at a much more reasonable price

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.