which one

CA30-06

Question for the more experienced.

Buying my first long range rifle. It will be mainly used for punching paper on to (after a lot of practice) 1000yd hopefully. I have a question about a first model. I have a choice at a local shop who has both on hand. I have the choice of either.....

Remington 700p in 308.

Or
Remington 700 5r.

I'm not 100% sold on the 5r rifling but only because it is new to me. There is only $100 difference between the two. So the question is, 1. Is the 5r barrel make that much difference over normal rifling? Is there a advantage to the rifle being all stainless?

Any and all comments or suggestions are extremely welcome and needed.

Thanks in advance.

Go for the 5R, you won't regret it. I have had my 24" .308 since around 2009/2010. Mine is extremely accurate (1/4-3/8 MOA groups on average with handloads). I love it so much, I bought another one in .300 WinMag (26"), but haven't had time to shoot it yet.

The main advantages to the 5R rifling is that because there is never a groove across from a groove, it eliminates a pinch-point of the bullet's jacket, causing less friction. Also, the 5R rifling is super easy to clean up copper fouling. Mine can go 200+ shots between needing cleanings. A few quick swipes and it's clean.

Stainless steel has better rust and heat resistant properties compared to ferrous steel. Other than that, I have no idea whether it produces more accurate barrels. Most of my rifles are stainless because I love stainless rifles. If you don't like it, you can always have a nice stainless rifle and get it cerakoted so it's double rust resistant. LOL

Either rifle you buy, I suggest an immediate trigger swap to a Jewell or Timney...As Remington's XMP triggers are complete junk.

Well, locked it up today and 10 days from now the new 5r308 will live in the safe. Now, question #2. Who has the best load make ups? I am very capable of rolling my own, but never threw together 308's. Many '06, 30-30, 300 savage but am a FNG to loading the 308. I hear that Varget is the end all be all but I couldn't find it anywhere around me if I had to. Any other suggestions or good places to start?

Again, any and all are very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Congrats. You should enjoy the 5R. A bit of warning... Mine shot ok groups at first (1-1.5" @ 100) when it was still breaking in. After about 50-75 shots, it started breaking in, and then started getting very consistant groupings. So, don't be disappointed if at first it isn't shooting sub-MOA. If you break it in right, it should start shooting good groups in no time. Granted, you'll still have to work up your load and tune your load for your rifle. But here's a good starting point...

Lapua brass, Nosler 168 Custom Comps, Federal 210M's, 44.0gr of Varget, and seated to 2.810" OAL is always a good place to start.

Shame you can't find any Varget. That stuff is magic in the .308 sized cases.

What could you recommend as a break in? I have never had to as my other rifles where dads and already seasoned. I have read a lot about brake in steps. Everything from the extreme of shooting over 100 rounds with moly coated mixed in too not doing anything at all. I'm thinking there has to be a middle road.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.