Which of your guns are really most important?

My 6.5 grendel pistol w 1-8×24 scope, laser sight and rail mounted flashlight. Its compact enough to throw in a backpack if needed . Its moa accurate at 100yds. It is capable of a 300yd point blank sight in . It can be shoulder fired or one hand operated. It has the kinetic energy for clean kills on whitetail sized game at 200yds. I have a double hand full of 20 yd mags loaded and ready to rock. For a bugout gun, you will have to search pretty hard to find a better choice.
I dont actually OWN one of these evil black terroristic weapons in real life. I just saw one on a video game and lied that i actually own one. This is a ficticious what if thread, right ? In the real world , I have a wrist rocket slingshot with the high output latex band and 2 jugs of glass marbles . That was the.only weapon i didnt take on my fateful canoe trip on the Colorado river . Turned that sucker over in the DEEP water section while doing a sturgeon survey . Lost every gun, bullet, kegs of powder, everything that goes boom or contributes to boomage in one swoop. Sturgeons are doung well by the way.

Last edited:
My 6.5 grendel pistol w 1-8×24 scope, laser sight and rail mounted flashlight. Its compact enough to throw in a backpack if needed . Its moa accurate at 100yds. It is capable of a 300yd point blank sight in . It can be shoulder fired or one hand operated. It has the kinetic energy for clean kills on whitetail sized game at 200yds. I have a double hand full of 20 yd mags loaded and ready to rock. For a bugout gun, you will have to search pretty hard to find a better choice.
I dont actually OWN one of these evil black terroristic weapons in real life. I just saw one on a video game and lied that i actually own one. This is a ficticious what if thread, right ? In the real world , I have a wrist rocket slingshot with the high output latex band and 2 jugs of glass marbles . That was the.only weapon i didnt take on my fateful canoe trip on the Colorado river . Turned that sucker over in the DEEP water section while doing a sturgeon survey . Lost every gun, bullet, kegs of powder, everything that goes boom or contributes to boomage in one swoop. Sturgeons are doung well by the way.
Glad to hear about the Sturgeon. We need to cherish the resource. Sorry for your loss. Know it was painful.

I would load a 100 or so rounds for my 308 light pack rifle and we would head to the cabin in the river bottom we can walk there in an hour never crossing a road no need to carry water as there are plenty windmills , fish and game a plenty and If the boys have not raided it plenty jim beam There is little more dangerous than a redneck in the river bottom he grew up in
Amen!

Coming from a soldier...what most people think engagements will be is a fantasy. I have been shot at and shot at people. Its close stuff. Anything beyond lets say 100 yards should be counted as murder. Its nearly impossible to establish threat beyond that. So the gent who said just a shotgun is right on! Think closer.
You are correct. Let me clarify my response in this strictly theoretical situation. I imagine, that in this bug out scenario, we're talking a complete SHTF, sociopolitical meltdown, EMP type situation. I will be able to determine friend or foe from a distance. The signs on the gate will make it crystal clear to not enter. That gate is at a distance. In this scenario, if my foe is in shotgun range, I've begun to fail my family. When it comes to the life of our kids, fair play is out.

Your scenario interest us down under as most of the people in the country of Australia are by nature "Dooms day Preparers"
However if you are use to walking say 20 Klm going hunting then carrying a gun with some "Legs" like a 308 or 300WM shouldn't be a problem
Leave the AR15-16 at home as they go through too much ammo and I do like the guys that take up a bow as this is quiet and very deadly even on big game but scary if you had to face someone down
The rioters in your country seem to be organized by someone
so these are the people in your town to keep an eye on
Stay safe

Your scenario interest us down under as most of the people in the country of Australia are by nature "Dooms day Preparers"
However if you are use to walking say 20 Klm going hunting then carrying a gun with some "Legs" like a 308 or 300WM shouldn't be a problem
Leave the AR15-16 at home as they go through too much ammo and I do like the guys that take up a bow as this is quiet and very deadly even on big game but scary if you had to face someone down
The rioters in your country seem to be organized by someone
so these are the people in your town to keep an eye on
Stay safe
The 223/556 is due to ammo availability. In my area, every game & fish agent, state police, and most deputies, have ARs and ammo in their patrol vehicles. And 3 out of 4 households have ARs and ammo. I don't disagree with you. I don't think I mentioned AR in my original response, I only mentioned the cartridge and a weapon that you are intimately familiar with.

Isn't it amazing that you and I can have this conversation a hemisphere apart. What a world we live in!

I am loading 5.56 on the dillon press at 800 rds/hr 62gr hpbt. while I am doing that my wife is going to be saddling the horses and putting the packs on the mules. The kids can ride double on one horse, my wife and I get our own and I will pony the 2 pack mules.
you got my vote

I am loading 5.56 on the dillon press at 800 rds/hr 62gr hpbt. while I am doing that my wife is going to be saddling the horses and putting the packs on the mules. The kids can ride double on one horse, my wife and I get our own and I will pony the 2 pack mules.
right off the top, you've got my thumbs up.

I see some problems with this thread but I see some real positives.
I see the use for a 12 GA with slugs for bear and other nasty things.
I see the use of a rimfire caliber rifle or pistol
I see a use for a medium caliber either long or short action
I see the need for a long range magnum
I see the need for a tactical firearm. (AR, AK, FAL Mini, Semi auto rifle)
This goes back to the "one rifle for all applications" thread a while back.

If I had a wife and kids, I think that the kids are carrying 22-250's, the wife is carrying a 25-06, and I am carrying a 270 wildcat off a belted magnum case.
the kids are carrying 250 rounds to 300 rounds, the wife is carrying 150 rounds, and I am carrying 200 rounds of ammo. the truck I know i would have would make it all the way to my family's long forgotten cabin. I would take as much stuff (living supplies) as possible . this would include reloading supplies and food. now the reason for the specific rounds.. all of these cartridges have one thing in common.. most of their loads take the same powder or two. I could take one or two 8 pound kegs for all three calibers.

you got my vote

I already have my cabin picked out too!
6B91B672-503B-4AE4-93B6-9E1EE8207A5F.jpeg

I see some problems with this thread but I see some real positives.
I see the use for a 12 GA with slugs for bear and other nasty things.
I see the use of a rimfire caliber rifle or pistol
I see a use for a medium caliber either long or short action
I see the need for a long range magnum
I see the need for a tactical firearm. (AR, AK, FAL Mini, Semi auto rifle)
This goes back to the "one rifle for all applications" thread a while back.

If I had a wife and kids, I think that the kids are carrying 22-250's, the wife is carrying a 25-06, and I am carrying a 270 wildcat off a belted magnum case.
the kids are carrying 250 rounds to 300 rounds, the wife is carrying 150 rounds, and I am carrying 200 rounds of ammo. the truck I know i would have would make it all the way to my family's long forgotten cabin. I would take as much stuff (living supplies) as possible . this would include reloading supplies and food. now the reason for the specific rounds.. all of these cartridges have one thing in common.. most of their loads take the same powder or two. I could take one or two 8 pound kegs for all three calibers.

If the truck isn't part of the equation.....you may be looking at a small reduction in armament! Being on foot complictes thing substantially! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.