Which of your guns are really most important?

I actually feel like if this actually did happen the safest place would be in a small town of 200 people or less. But, this is just for fun.
I live in a small town. Most people are gun owners and will protect their home land. I'd go no where. I'd stay and fight. My arsenal and ammo would be enough to stand my ground along with many others in this community. I'm not running from anything at my age. Best option to me

M1 carbine. Ammo and rifle are light, plenty powerful enough to keep you fed and if you have to get nasty they will get the job done

We had so much fun with the 5 gun thread lets play a new game. Here are the rules: You have a safe full of guns, and not a single round of ammo. You have plenty of bullets, powder, cases, and 1000 each of LRM, LR, SR, 209 and LP primers in your stash. The problem is Society has broken down overnight and you are unsafe at home. You will have to bug out to a remote location with your family in tow. You very well may have to walk a big part of the way with everything you need on both your and your wife's back. You have a wife and two small children that you will have to both protect and provide for. What do you load for and how much? Remember all the other stuff you will have to carry so what is really important to you? I would first choose a 22RF but that's against the rules, you have to load them and you don't have a lot of time.

While I understand the objective of your request, personally, I believe this is poor planning. Given the world today and what appears to be coming, everyone should have long since been ready for this or other "adventures". Maybe I just think differently than some, but after decades ago growing up on a very rural and poor farm, enduring much military training, experiencing the heart of the cold war and etc, it has long since been my routine practice to be prepared for the unexpected. As an FYI, of the numerous firearms I own, there are NONE I do not have a constant ready supply of ammo loaded for.

Actually, this exercise reminds me of a long ago college course I took where the instructor raised a scenario of a sinking boat at sea and the students had to determine which 1 of the 4 items they would grab before entering the life boat. Having been mil trained and a practical farm boy, I responded that I would grab the preplanned and packed water survival kit that I had brought. She was not happy with my response and prior thinking. YMMV

My Savage 24 - .223 over 12 ga. with 1000 rd .223 (aprox 28 Lb) and 300 rd 12 buckshot/hunting load mix: 100 buck, 200 hunting (shot) (aprox 30 lbs.) allows for self protection and hunting both game and fowl. Head for my inlaws where there is lake for fishing and we have stored camping equipment. Only need personal clothing, some MREs, plus propane for camp stove and small heater. There is plenty of firewood available. Solar and crank style radio with charging ports. Plenty of leaves, so no need for bathroom tissue............. kids carry their toys and we carry it all on a travois with wheels. Have to admit, have not yet figured out taking the dogs.

We had so much fun with the 5 gun thread lets play a new game. Here are the rules: You have a safe full of guns, and not a single round of ammo. You have plenty of bullets, powder, cases, and 1000 each of LRM, LR, SR, 209 and LP primers in your stash. The problem is Society has broken down overnight and you are unsafe at home. You will have to bug out to a remote location with your family in tow. You very well may have to walk a big part of the way with everything you need on both your and your wife's back. You have a wife and two small children that you will have to both protect and provide for. What do you load for and how much? Remember all the other stuff you will have to carry so what is really important to you? I would first choose a 22RF but that's against the rules, you have to load them and you don't have a lot of time.
I would load 357 , 12 gauge slugs and 7 RM able to kill to everything near and far .

Just look at what happens in areas that have had this kind of strife: Somalia, Nigeria, etc. None of you will be any match for roving gangs.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have bigger worries...
its true, you are only prolonging the inevitable

I think my first choice would be the keltec sub 2000 in 40s&w. Could load plenty of rounds fast with the 5 stage press. It will fit in a backpack with other supplies so not having to carry one on my shoulder. Of coarse I would have my 40 Springfield on my side. Which is one of the reasons why choosing the sub2000, has plenty of energy to do the job, an only need 1 caliber of ammo for 2 guns. Although my 2nd choice would be 5.56.

While I understand the objective of your request, personally, I believe this is poor planning. Given the world today and what appears to be coming, everyone should have long since been ready for this or other "adventures". Maybe I just think differently than some, but after decades ago growing up on a very rural and poor farm, enduring much military training, experiencing the heart of the cold war and etc, it has long since been my routine practice to be prepared for the unexpected. As an FYI, of the numerous firearms I own, there are NONE I do not have a constant ready supply of ammo loaded for.

Actually, this exercise reminds me of a long ago college course I took where the instructor raised a scenario of a sinking boat at sea and the students had to determine which 1 of the 4 items they would grab before entering the life boat. Having been mil trained and a practical farm boy, I responded that I would grab the preplanned and packed water survival kit that I had brought. She was not happy with my response and prior thinking. YMMV
All Very true. I'm sure most everyone on this site has what they need if there is trouble. The point is to make you think out of all of your toys, which ones would you take if the chips were down and what would you leave behind if you had to. Its not supposed to be real. We treat gun ownership as a hobby, not a survival necessity.

these discussions
Judging from some of the responses.....it appears that they will not be on foot, and will have an electric, off-road, heavy duty, vehicle powered by a large solar array or "fairy dust"!

What part of "bug-out" on foot is difficult to understand! Sheesh! 🥴 memtb
these discussions have huge value - even if off direct topic - read and learn

I would take my AR15 with my lightweight 6.5 Grendel upper and my lightweight 50 Beowulf upper. Grendel scoped and Beowulf would be open sights with side mount Red dot 🔴 for close combat. I would also take my lightweight Aluminum Lee press I use at the range along with some lightweight clamps. I'd throw in 2 field repair hardware kits and a armors tool along with 2 backup BCGs. SOG all purpose tool on my belt. Fill up my 2 Outdoorsmans long range packs for my wife and I and off we'd go. I had to think hard about taking my Savage 308 Pistol as it's lightweight but is also single shot. Both carrying sidearms and a gallon of water along with our lightweight bugout bags.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.