Which NightForce to get

Deerezilla

I'm kinda new to this long range stuff. I'm good to 700 yards on the scopes I have. I'm looking at building a 338 edge wanting some advice on which NightForce scope to go with.

I am going to go out on a limb here, and say that if they maintain their previous standard of excellence, that the new Nightforce ATACR, coming this next spring, in first focal plane 5-25x56 might possibly be the best hunting scope ever made if you don't require a super light scope.

The Leupold m5a2 6-20 works great, slightly less mag and no illum though. Illum isn't a huge deal to me.
If you are hunting first focal plane makes a lot of sense, you never have to worry what power you are at your wind holds will always be accurate. Nightforce had fell behind in that regard but have fixed that with this new ATACR model. I predict it will outsell the Beast handily. If you mostly shoot targets, don't need quick shots and don't have to deal with mirage much then a second focal will work fine and save you some money, you just have to remember the reticle is only correct at full power and you have to do the math for holds otherwise.
Buy the absolute best scope you can afford and you'll never regret it, but make sure you test it with a tall target test even if it cost more than your car. You never know, til you know lol.

Appears you are from the same state and even same town as I am. Anyway, don't have a 338 yet (would like to). do have a couple different night force scopes on 300 win mags and 300 rums. My favorite is the nxs 5.5x22x56. Little heavy but other than that can't say enough good things about them. Have a friend that does have one on a 338, it is a wildcat that I believe is made off the 416 case. He has the 5.5x22x56 on it. The scope performs perfect. Good luck and happy holidays.

I have a 5.5-22x50nxs and a schmidt bender 5-25x56 pmII, the nxs can not compete with S&B... Here in Europe we mostly hunt in the morning and in the evening, where the S&b shine, the nxs is much darker and the illuminated reticle on the nxs is useless. I can't say anything about the atacr...
And also my NXS is SFP which is a pain in the ***...

If money and weight are not qualities you object to, the Nightforces past, present and future are very good. Find a magnification range that suits your hunting style, and you're good to go.

I have an ATACR that works well where mobility isn't an issue. I'm hoping one of the new one's will fit the bill for a more mid range set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.